Pescua [title work in progress!]

Discuss user created adventure modules
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Pescua [title work in progress!]

Post by slowdive »

Pongo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:10 am Fortunately I've now got it running again and I've now rectified that on cloud and memory stick. Phew!
Something to think about would be to use GitHub desktop for your projects. It works great for having a free online backup and tracks all changes made to your module's folder so you can easily revert to older versions of a file if needed (Zach uses it for his IB module). I've always used GitHub for the IceBlink code, but Unity does not have a built-in GitHub system like Visual Studio has. So most Unity coders use GitHub Desktop for their Unity projects.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Yes, GitHub has saved my life several times -- or my sanity anyway!
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

My "to-do" list is rapidly decreasing - I'm definitely in the final stages.

I've started using Craiyon, the AI art thing, for some of the module art. Its actually pretty good! Here are some that have made it into the mod:
craiyon_124229_scary_demon.png
craiyon_124229_scary_demon.png (504.05 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
craiyon_085114_spooky_old_room_with_a_big_window.png
craiyon_085114_spooky_old_room_with_a_big_window.png (649.82 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
craiyon_083522_family_crest_black_dragon.png
craiyon_083522_family_crest_black_dragon.png (840.37 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

They don't all turn out great though. Its particularly awful with people:

craiyon_085228_female_wizard.png
craiyon_085228_female_wizard.png (679.08 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
craiyon_090012_dwarf_fighter_with_an_axe.png
craiyon_090012_dwarf_fighter_with_an_axe.png (525.03 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

...is that a dwarf or a gerbil? But overall its speeded up the process for finding art quite a lot. For inanimate objects like books, or environments like rooms, its generally pretty useful - I'd recommend it if you're struggling to find a particular resource.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Great work, I like the room, very atmospheric and the dragon crest, too. I read about Craiyon last week in a post on the Codex. It's a nifty tool. Definitely can be a time saver, and should generate some memorable art.

Still looking forward to playing your module!
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

That is an interesting idea for a tool. I see how that could help with module building for those that are not doing all of their own custom artwork (like Zach).

Great to hear that the list is slowly getting smaller. That is a good sign because my lists are usually getting bigger, haha.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

AI is capable of doing some really interesting things. I can see artists and modders and taking AI images and tweaking/putting their own spin on them as a really efficient way of making art. Spooky old room is really cool!
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

I've been working on the map of Skaule for a while using Inkarnate. I want to use it in the mod's intro to help set a sense of place. The bit of the mod I'm working on is essentially the whole south-west section - its a pretty large area of about 45 interlocking 20x20 maps (not including specific dungeons etc). I've tried to be generally consistent with map sizes to help mapping, but the towns are a bit larger than that (eg Culcheth is 40x40 and has a separate graveyard map) so its not 100% consistent.

The background is that Skaule is an isolated island that forms a proxy battle for two larger powers elsewhere - the Ustryan Empire in the west, and Skalavic in the east. This occupation is relatively new, and the island is full of ruins that speak of a longer, now lost, civilisation. Bastion is the imperial fort that marks the current divide of the two territories on the island. When the PCs arrive, both sides are living by an uneasy truce that might collapse at any time. The PCs travel to the island as mercenaries to take paid work from the Empire in and around Castle Grimtol - but, ultimately, they owe no allegiance to anyone.

The north of the island was once also occupied but was laid waste in a mysterious event now long forgotten. Only a desolate red wasteland remains. However, some who have braved the bleak wastes tell tales of ruined cities, lost in the red sands, that are still inhabited by deadly creatures. And tucked away in the north-east of the island is a large settlement of orcs in an ancient mountain home - they have their own concerns and internal battles and largely keep to themselves, although some will go ranging to trade or to raid...

(I've just noticed the typo in Gloomwood, ha! Will fix it. I expect I'll keep adding to the map as it develops in any case).
The Island of Skaule (1).jpg
The Island of Skaule (1).jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 6590 times
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Outstanding! I love seeing fantasy maps, and the background lore that goes with it. Nice sepia tone for the colors, I think. The island and its history appear quite inviting... for trouble.

The section of the game world sounds huge. Should be excellent for exploration.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

This looks and sounds amazing! I love the map and all the lore you have developed so far. I think Glooomwoood would be fine :lol: or Gloomwood, either way is good :D .
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Thanks both! Yeah I did consider doubling down on Glooomwood and making it a thing - will probably revert to a normal spelling though!