Hearkenwold

Discuss user created adventure modules
Dorateen

Re: Hearkenwold

Post by Dorateen »

Halloween Update

This update will suffice for November as well. Since I have begun working on the conversion of the latest build of Hearkenwold into the Knights of the Chalice 2 engine, I just want to post some initial screens. I am going to try to finish by the end of this year so that I can return to IceBlink in 2022. Yes, there is still more of the adventure to play out, as the campaign continues to expand.

Back on page 15 of this thread, I posted an image of the party arriving at the council room of the King. For comparison, here is the same scene displayed in KotC2:

One of the recent updates to KoTC2 allows builders to choose a color/tint setting on individual maps. The values by default are keyed to times of the day such as morning, evening and night. Here I used this on a map the party has arrived on at twilight. I also use the Night setting in a couple of other places, and in the new cavern dungeon, which is pretty cool as it simulates the semi-darkness of those underground areas.

Finally, here is an encounter appropriate for the season:

This is all content already present in the latest IceBlink version available for download. Now it is a matter of reconstructing everything in the other toolset.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Looks great Dorateen! The tinting feature is a nice addition. When do you think KotC2 will be officially released? Are there any tools you would need to help with the conversions from IB to KotC2 (image or data conversions)?
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

He just released version 1.19 to backers last week. In the update he said the official release could be December, or January at the "latest". The developer did call the first module Augury of Chaos "content complete", so he is just preparing to get it on steam/GoG for the release. I would love to have the full Hearkenwold module available if that's true. I guess we will see.

As far as conversion, it is pretty straight forward, I don't think any tools are necessary. In fact, it gives me a chance to review the material again and I have caught a few small typos, which I've corrected in the IceBlink version.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

December/January release for KotC2 sounds great! I use GOG so that is good he is releasing it on GOG. I'm hoping to have IBbasic ready for an official release in November. It is pretty much done for what I wanted in the initial release. I just need to play test it a bit more since I added the 3d/first-person view system added back in.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Looks great Dorateen! I had a look at your current KotC2 version a while back and enjoyed it, it's a great engine. Have you added extra content like dialogue options for the additional races/classes etc available in KotC, or is it best to generate a party around the ones available in IB? I didn't get far enough to check really. In any case, I'm going to stick to iceblink for my next run through - need to get that party rolled. :)
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Pongo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:16 am Have you added extra content like dialogue options for the additional races/classes etc available in KotC
A few here and there, but it is still mostly built around the core IceBlink races and class. If a player wants to use more exotic party members like half salamanders and psychic warriors, they are free to do so. These characters can still get dialogue responses based on attributes and alignment.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

I have added a new video to showcase some of the content that will be in the next version of Hearkenwold for Knights of the Chalice 2. Of course, this is already part of the latest IceBlink build that is available for download.

Here, the party is making their way through the Ephghan Plains, when they are jumped by hostile warrior women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2Yqu-z1c8
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

December Update

Here's just a few more screenshots of the conversion work I'm doing for Hearkenwold in the KotC2 editor. Again this exact content is currently present in the IceBlink version available for download. These screens are all taken from exploration of the dangerous Khrystos Caverns.

Finally, I wanted to post this exchange, which made me laugh thinking about Pongo's recent comments about his sighing NPCs.

I'm trying to get the KotC2 update finished this month, so then I can go back to IceBlink early in the new year.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Good to see I'm not the only one with sighing NPCs!

I've just started a new run on Hearkenwold - I haven't played it for a couple of years so there's a load of new content I haven't seen yet. Looking forward to it! Last time I took a party of dwarves, but this time I'm going for a more traditional mix.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Looking great! Sounds like you have the conversion process down pretty well if it only takes a month or so. Is everything done manually in the conversion? Is KotC2 tile based or are the maps a single image?