targeting bug

Discuss IB/IBx engine ideas, bugs, etc.
zach_holbrook

targeting bug

Post by zach_holbrook »

Just keeping a list of things I find :) ... This one isn't game-breaking either, but it's troublesome. I had it happen a few times and I didn't know what was up, but I'm pretty sure I understand what triggers it now. If you move the camera in manual camera mode and then target something with the mouse (a square you want to move, another creature), the engine will choose a nearby square instead (and seems to do so more wildly the further from the start position you are). If you scroll back to where the camera focused when the turn began, you can target fairly normally.

My workaround is to turn the manual camera and smooth movement in combat off -- I haven't seen it happen since I toggled these off, so the bug seems related to camera movement in the way I described above. (Side bug: smooth movement with manual camera off leads to very odd behavior (creatures all over the map, attacking in borders, etc.).

TLDR: To avoid the bug, set UseCombatSmoothMovement to false, set useManualCombatCam to false.

Edit: But with these settings, the combat map is locked to the 0, 0 left corner, which can make fighting and visibility difficult because a portion of the map is always under the combat log...
Dorateen

Re: targeting bug

Post by Dorateen »

I noticed that too on a recent play through (build 196). For me, the targeting seemed off by maybe a square or so. In the worst case that happened once when I first encountered the issue, I could not find the target, had to skip character's turn.

Another bug I just noticed cropping up, for future reference, large sized creature (200 x 200) had problems when they could not reach their target. Instead of moving and ending their turn, the game just hung up. In two cases, I had to edit combat maps to make sure large creatures would not be so restricted, causing them not to reach a target on their turn.
zach_holbrook

Re: targeting bug

Post by zach_holbrook »

Interesting about the larger creature bug. I may have some larger creatures, so I'll keep this limitation in mind.