Problem and solution to DoConvo OnEndCombatIBS

Discuss IB/IBx engine ideas, bugs, etc.
cartons

Problem and solution to DoConvo OnEndCombatIBS

Post by cartons »

I've been trying to figure out why sometimes the DoConvo OnEndCombat Script doesn't trigger after an encounter and near as I can figure it's dependent on the Collision status of Prop that triggered the encounter. Collision status: True allows the OEC script to work; False forbids it.

Not sure why that is, but just putting it out there for reference.
Dorateen

Re: Problem and solution to DoConvo OnEndCombatIBS

Post by Dorateen »

Good catch.

I've been using the Trigger Events to add a conversation that will fire immediately after a combat encounter.
TriggerEvents.jpg
TriggerEvents.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I'll add this to the list to investigate.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

All my combats have an intro dialog and an end dialog, and the OnEndCombatScript+doConvo combo has always worked for me. Combat is always initiated via the gaDoEncounterByTag script attached to the end node of a dialog, and the preliminary conversation itself always initiated via trigger. Early on I believe I did have problems using props to activate things, so my rule of thumb since then has been to use props for visuals only, and to have triggers and conversations do all the heavy lifting.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Using triggers seems to be more robust, but I need to make sure that the same trigger code setup is working with Props since the purpose of props was that they are "moving triggers" in theory. In Karl's project living world feature, Props (people) have schedules and move all over the place. So I agree that using triggers is a better option for now if your Props are not moving around (but I'll fix the Prop code still). In IBbasic, triggers have an image option and it can be show/hidden by script (there are no Props in IBbasic).
cartons

Post by cartons »

slowdive wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:25 pm In Karl's project living world feature, Props (people) have schedules and move all over the place.
The living world project seems very ambitious and I'm surprised I haven't seen more implementation of it already, but I'm struggling with it myself.

I've been trying to get a prop to patrol properly, but I feel like I must be misunderstanding the Waypoint system as the prop simply disappears when I try to implement it. Setting it to something like random works without issue.

How it goes: I set a creature to patrol, its area to the map the moving prop is on, departure time and waitduration to 1, and then I set the X and Ys for each point on the map I would like to set as Waypoints (I add a new member for every location along the props' path). I test, and the prop is not there.

All the material I've been able to dig up on the subject seems to imply that an earlier version of PLW had the Waypoints as actual props you could drop on the map, which is a system that seems to have been dropped. As such, I admit I haven't watched most of the hours of material Karl produced introducing PLW as I assumed much of it would now be out of date. Am I off course here?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I think you are correct. I haven't tried to dig through the PLW code since moving to the new version of IB (moved away from the winform version). It is very possible that it may not be working properly at this point. I know Karl had some basic behaviors working for props such as patrol and chase in a more recent video that he made.