Saving throws in convos

Discuss IB/IBx engine ideas, bugs, etc.
Pongo

Saving throws in convos

Post by Pongo »

Is there a script to check a save (eg will) in a convo? I have the scripts for skill checks but this would be to see whether the party member resisted a spell. Thanks!
Dorateen

Re: Saving throws in convos

Post by Dorateen »

Are you using the gaCastSpell script as an action on a PC line in the conversation? I know the game will check for reflex saving throws when using an offensive spell this way. But I never tried with a spell that has a will save. Also, is the spell being cast at the end of a conversation, or is it in the middle?
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

It's a bit of a "fake" spell. Basically, there's a point in the convo where the monster casts a "spell" at the player, which, if they don't pass a save, means they become charmed. This then affects the rest of the convo depending on whether they passed the save. That's the idea anyway.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Interesting. A skill check would be perfect, but I don't think there is one for saving throws. As a work around, could you set the conditional to check for the character's wisdom score? That might be too binary for what you are looking for. That is, if the selected PC is above WIS 15 (for example), then they succeed and the conversation follows accordingly. If their wisdom is below 15, then there would be a fall through response and the conversation continues as if they've been charmed.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I can add a saving throw check script similar to the way skill checks are done. For IBbasic, I want to add a pop-up dialog screen that does the dice roll for skill and saving throw checks in conversations. It would look similar to the IBbasic d20 screen in combat. I could do something similar in IB as well with a module flag to turn it off or on.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Sounds great, thanks Slowdive! In the meantime I'll do a conditional skill check as Dorateen suggests.