Vampiric/Draining spells

Discuss IB/IBx engine ideas, bugs, etc.
cartons

Vampiric/Draining spells

Post by cartons »

Hey, I don't suppose there's any way to create a spell that simulatenously damages an enemy while healing one's self? It seems to be a function of Effect targets being limited to exclusive categories. I see how this concept might be executed for weapons or enemy attacks, but not specifically for cast spells.

In any case, if there's something obvious I'm missing, I'd like to hear it, otherwise, I'll just throw this onto the pile of requests!
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Vampiric/Draining spells

Post by slowdive »

I think you are correct that each spell only allows one target type. I think we will need to create some kind of option to have each spell effect in the effect list define its target type (target, source, all friends in area, all enemies in area, all in area, etc.).
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I started adding the code for transfer type effects in IBbasic. These type of effects will transfer HP or SP from the target to the sender (caster or trait user or item user). This effect could be used for a minor drain spell, vampiric spell, magic drain spell, vampiric bite trait, energy (SP) drain trait, vampiric dagger, or a wand of energy drain.
cartons

Post by cartons »

That's fantastic, thank you!

I hope if Karl ever decides to continue working on IBE, the improvements you've developed will be transferable.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

cartons wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:51 pm I hope if Karl ever decides to continue working on IBE, the improvements you've developed will be transferable.
It should be fairly easy for Karl (or myself when finished with IBbasic initial release) to add the new features into IB since I have been pushing commits that are specific to individual features (I did this with IB in mind) so it should be almost a cut-and-paste job for each feature.