Preparation before heading into the wilds

Discuss IB/IBx engine ideas, bugs, etc.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Preparation before heading into the wilds

Post by slowdive »

Did you make any changes to any of the default Player Class, Race, Traits, Spells, or Effects? I'm guessing that one of the characters being loaded has a conflict with some data. If you can post a link to the bad module folder (like dropbox or something), I could try running it inside of Visual Studio to see where exactly it has the issue.
cartons

Post by cartons »

I ran some tests and that was indeed the problem. I had changed the name and tag of one of the Races. I thought I'd also changed the tags in all the Player files correspondingly, but either it didn't make a difference, or I forgot something somewhere.

Thank you for willing to take a look at it, though :)

Hopefully I'll have something to share shortly!
cartons

Post by cartons »

I was editing an area, Farmland NE, (nothing major, added a couple of props that trigger based on an event in another area), and it looks like it got bugged out. Above is the error I get now when I try to open the area in the editor. It also crashes the game when I try to enter that area.

I'm using IB 198. When I transferred my game, for some reason this Farmland NE made 5 duplicates of itself named Farmland NE_0_, Farmland NE_1_, ... Farmland NE_4_. When I delete them all, instead of the above error message, I get an error message saying that it can't find those numbered versions. Reinstating the duplicates just gives me the above error.

Any idea what happened?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

It seems like this area was changed to be one of the seamless edge type maps. I don't really understand how they work, but they have linked neighbor maps and I think those are the ones with _0, _1, _2, etc. If you delete those areas, you may need to go into the Farmland NE area file and remove any references to those edge files. I think I accidently did the same thing when clicking on some of the buttons in the area editor that I wasn't familiar with and I wanted to see what they did. I ended up going into my area file and deleting some things in the first part so that they looked like my other normal area files. This is the part with the "linked" stuff at the beginning of the area files:

Code: Select all

{
  "linkedAreasCounter": 0,
  "masterOfThisArea": "none",
  "linkedAreas": [],
  "linkNumbers": [],
  "linkNumberOfThisArea": -1,
cartons

Post by cartons »

I found what was causing the bug. I've been using the Neighbour function to link adjacent maps, and at a certain point, instead of leaving blank the squares for a cardinal direction that led to no adjacent maps, I wrote in 'none'. The engine was then searching for a map called 'none' and found nothing: *beep*boop*error*!.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Ah, that makes sense, good catch.
cartons

Post by cartons »

I've been using this thread to ask small-ish questions about the editor so as to not flood the forum, but let me know if you'd prefer if I create separate topics instead for ease of future reference.

--

I'm trying to launch a conversation after an encounter.

In the Encounter properties, I've got the OnEndCombatIBScript Hook set to DoConvo, with the parameter set to the conversation I want, but when I test it, winning the encounter does not trigger the conversation. This is the case whether I have special victory conditions or not.

What am I missing?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I usually have the conversation on the next event of the trigger. So if the encounter is trigger event 1 then the conversation is on trigger event 2. I don't use the OnEndCombatIBScript hook for conversations. If the encounter is called from a prop, then I'd have to try and dig through that code to figure that out.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Cartons, I'm not sure why the convo won't fire--I have multiple encounters that use the setup you describe. It might have something to do with how the combat itself is called, like Slowdive suggested. All my encounters begin with a script called through conversation. (The narration sets up the combat, and then there's an option to skip the combat or go ahead with it.)
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

cartons wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:35 am
I'm trying to launch a conversation after an encounter.
I also set up post-encounter conversations the way slowdive described. Use the trigger properties, and put the conversation in the event right after the combat event.