Malkin

Discuss user created adventure modules
zach_holbrook

Malkin

Post by zach_holbrook »

Hey all, I'll be posting Malkin updates here, and I'll keep this first post updated with useful information and links.

Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Km6hviUDw

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thewitchgame/

Manual: Coming Soonish

Launch: Fall 2020
Attachments
title.jpg
title.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 10200 times
zach_holbrook

Re: Malkin

Post by zach_holbrook »

What I'm working on now:

1. A conversation that fires/doesn't fire depending on time of day and location. The whole game takes place over the course of seven days, so I thought it'd be good to include a little reminder for players about the looming deadline -- and give a sense of setting.

2. Implementing the map (object in inventory that, when used, transports player to an area with landmarks that the player has discovered so they can fast travel).

3. Combat design, creature design, and area design, as always

4. Writing of some non-critical dialogs and characters
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Awesome! love the image... title screen? Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of Malkin as it progresses.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Yes, the title screen -- and an-game area too, with some adjustments. I'm going to be diligent!
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Your title screens have had some significance to the story in the past... I wonder if this one has a story to tell :D we shall see.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Very happy to see Malkin in the new forum :D !

Clever approach with the fast travel map 8-) , this will come in very handy...
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Greetings from the NYC region. I'll be at home for the foreseeable future -- though these days the future feels far from foreseeable. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of anxiety and frustration, not least because I had a 103 degree fever and cough right when Coronavirus started to hit New York. When I went to the doctor (a day before it was discovered in the suburbs), I was told I most likely had the flu -- and that I couldn't be tested, given that I hadn't traveled to China or Italy recently. Two weeks later that restriction seems very quaint and old-fashioned, though it's still very hard to get tests. But I recovered quickly, though I'm staying in like everybody else.

Now that the dust has settled, I can spend a bit more time with Malkin. If you've been following my Instagram (@thewitchgame) you've seen some of the icons for my new spells, most of which are summons. I've attached a few here.

summons.png
summons.png (62.82 KiB) Viewed 10181 times
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Very happy to hear you feel better now, Zach! That sounds terrifying, all the uncertainty and confusion. High fever is one of the worst body sensations I experienced so far (lucky me, I guess) and it made me really just wish to drop out and move time forward. To experience this combined with the fear of an unknown illness and a shaken society aorund you must be a horrifying situation, I imagine. When the situation with the virus has normalized a bit again (and I hope it will), there are a lot things to do much better as communites and countries or the next pandemic might very well throw us right into anarchy.

On a much brighter note, I am blown away again by your art - really adorable!
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

I am feeling much better -- though who knows how long I'll be inside. Luckily I have making games and playing games to help keep me occupied. I completely agree that we need to be more prepared individually and globally for this kind of thing. Glad you like the art! One of the most rewarding things about making it is how easily and quickly I can get it into the game.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Hi all! Now that summer has officially started for me (it officially starts very late), I'm working on Malkin full time. This past week I accomplished more than I'd accomplished since March, including two new songs, a new quest chain, and a *lot* of new tiles for the wooded mountain region (the last major region I needed to make tiles for), as well as for an inn. I'm also having a friend improve some of the animations I have in the game right now.

Here's a link to one of the songs -- some of you may recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhzZ8DdmG5Y

And here are pics of some of the new areas/tiles.
Attachments
inn.png
inn.png (1.78 MiB) Viewed 10147 times
innterior.png
innterior.png (709.68 KiB) Viewed 10147 times
mountain view.png
mountain view.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 10147 times