Re: Hearkenwold

Post by slowdive »

See if this works...
t_waterfall.png
t_waterfall.png (30.79 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Not sure if I did it right. I placed the .png as a tile, and it shows as all six boxes high. I did not see any animation. Might be that I am using the old method of importing a single map, rather than the all tile system.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Are the water ones that you have used already considered props and not tiles? Maybe this has to be used as a prop? I'm not familiar with the animation system so maybe Karl can offer some direction here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I tried using it as a prop and that worked. I used the following settings to get it to look okay. I think it has an illusion of going up instead of down. Probably should add a more distinct pattern that moves down.
Capture001.PNG
Capture001.PNG (10.71 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Hey, that's great. I figured it should be a prop, but I never used those settings before. It now works beautifully. Thanks! I also have a waterfall in another different outdoor area, and I swapped that with the new animated falls.

I need to learn how to capture .gif files so I can show animated images like this.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I need to figure out how to make gifs and make sure they post to the forums if possible. That would help show case some of Karl’s hard work with the engine and animations.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Wow, it's really amazing to see you brave and clever guys tackle the prop animation system without a proper documentation! Keep the new animated props coming. We can work on making the system better once you got a bit hands on experience... I am certain there's room for improvment :lol: . Ah, you should also be able to make animated and the same time moving props. Also, all the props can be used on combat screen, too.

And while your in painting mood, maybe try your hands on a five frame prop for a creature/pc (vertical strip, each frame 100x100 for noral sized pc/cretaure: normal, attack, walk, breathe, idle... iirc).

For walk just imagine exactly the middle of a step - > midstride. Looks nicely if you add slightly shifted hair, weapon position, flying coat etc.
For breathe I have shrunk the ribcage a bit, lowered shodulers ever so slightly, a subtle variation is more than enough for the effect.
The only idle I tried is a flex muscle move...

You don't have to set anything concneirng timing/fequencies/etc., the engine takes such a 5-frame-prop and just runs with it (make sure the prop is set to be a mover though on main map). In battle and on main map, it is quite relevating to see them in action (or so I like to believe). I have only one stick man here (the blue crossbow fighter from goldbox, with new, rather quickly sketched frames created by me from its two default frames; he is part of the tutorial moduel so you can use him directly).
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

That's good information, youngneil1. I was able to make a .gif by capturing video and then converting that file into the animated image. The quality is better in-game of course, but here is that wonderful new waterfall.

slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

That looks great! On a side note, my party decide to explore around a bit near the tavern. We wondered into the mountains and came across an interesting creature which quickly produced a party wipe :lol: I think I'll come back and give it a go in a bit. Most of my party is level 4 or 5 now.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

slowdive wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:51 am We wondered into the mountains and came across an interesting creature which quickly produced a party wipe :lol:
I think that is one of the encounters the party has a choice to stand their ground or flee. Discretion is the better part of valor.