Hearkenwold

Discuss user created adventure modules
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Hearkenwold

Post by slowdive »

I played some more the past few days on my phone and I have come across a few new areas to me. They had some “too tough for my party” encounters so I think they are meant for later😂. Back to searching for the inn. Most of my party of five is now level 3. I’m playing through with IBx v182.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

That is great! Those new areas are probably good for a party 4th level and up.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Okay, I’ll come back to them after the inn/tavern quest. They were the areas north of the old tavern path areas.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

February Update

Happy to make the first official update for Hearkenwold on the new forums.

I have been busy hammering out the new adventure for the Thief Guild, and I'm on the last level of a dungeon complex. I think I mentioned before, I decided to use an old NWN2 module as a blueprint, one that I pretty much finished but never released. It was supposed to be part of a community project with different authors submitting individual adventures. However, that project fell apart, and I've had this module sitting on a backup hard drive since 2011. Until now!

As I was rebuilding it in IceBlink, I found it to be very appropriate for the thief class mission. Overall, it sort of has the feel of an asylum, with some NPCs that are lunatics and operating with their own agenda. I also made a little more use of skill checks here, owing to the fact this was originally created for the 3.5 D&D ruleset.

I want to point out, unlike the other two class-based content, this one will be completely accessible for all characters. With or without a thief in the party, and whether or not the guild sends you to this location. Nevertheless, I think a low level party will struggle if they come here too soon, and might put off until later in their adventuring career.

Here are some screenshots, including a new wilderness area that opens the way to this dungeon. I have been making extensive use of the animated waves prop on all water tiles throughout Hearkenwold. I think it enhances the area to be much more atmospheric.

In keeping with the idea of an asylum, this dwarf the party will meet is more like the beleagured warden.

Map features including a bridge, chasms, and an underground waterfall.

Some encounters will be possible to avoid if you have a thief in the party, and if the characters listen to him.

I know I have posted this deep fire beetle battle a few times. But it's a nice showcase of one of the new creatures this dungeon will introduce. And this time, I added the 50% fire resistance, as indicated in the newly implemented mouse over stat block.

All this only scratches the surface of the dungeon environment. Each level is constructed from multiple, varied maps packed with content. I should have everything done in a few weeks, and I think a release before the end of the month is very achievable. At that point, I will reveal the next class guild quest that I'm waiting to start on.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

This looks great! Use of skill checks is always welcome. I also like the idea of having different ways to pass an encounter or challenge. The beetles and their fire breathing looks fun :o
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Amazing work, Dorateen! Hearkenwold is so rich in stories and adventure content by now, it is really a joy to behold. The new areas look very interesting and varied, feeling the tickle to start a new campaign and experience it all again (and much of it for the first time).

Oh, animated props are big fun. We will have many more as time goes on. They work on the encounter screen , too, now.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

youngneil1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 am Oh, animated props are big fun. We will have many more as time goes on. They work on the encounter screen , too, now.
That cave waterfall could use an animated version :D
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

I wonder how it would work if I put the waves prop on that waterfall tile. I can try it.

Those fire beetles could be overwhelming if not handled carefully. The extra fire damage starts to add up. Hold, sleep and even web are valuable spells in that scenario.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Dorateen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm I wonder how it would work if I put the waves prop on that waterfall tile. I can try it.
I'll look into how animated tiles/props are made and I think I'll make a scrolling downwards water fall for that tile.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

slowdive wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:53 pm
Dorateen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm I wonder how it would work if I put the waves prop on that waterfall tile. I can try it.
I'll look into how animated tiles/props are made and I think I'll make a scrolling downwards water fall for that tile.
That would be perfect. Other effects like water spray would be good, as well as clouds and smoke.