IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Post by slowdive »

zach_holbrook wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:04 pm Slowdive -- working remotely is way more time-consuming than I thought it would be, are you finding it the same?
definitely has been more time-consuming than I had expected and the fuzzy separation between work and my family has been challenging for my kiddos. I work in the main bedroom so I can close the door, but they still forget and come in to ask me random questions :lol:
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

youngneil1 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:05 pm

@Zach: I made overgrowth and dynamic overlay in layers 4 and 5 optional now (incoming module setting). I hope next version will fix the issue for you. I did not have Malkin crashing though, it was more that some graphics became transparent when I moved closer (likely because they had been placed in layer4). We will see, keep fingers crossed.
Ah, awesome! Thanks very much. Curious that it isn't a problem with the older version of Malkin. I tried again with 194 and the current version and copied the first part of the error message I get when loading the first area:

Code: Select all

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at IceBlink2.ScreenMainMap.drawOvergrowth(Single elapsed)
   at IceBlink2.ScreenMainMap.redrawMain(Single elapsed)
   at IceBlink2.GameView.Render(Single elapsed)
   at IceBlink2.GameView.gameTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
slowdive wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:59 pm
zach_holbrook wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:04 pm Slowdive -- working remotely is way more time-consuming than I thought it would be, are you finding it the same?
definitely has been more time-consuming than I had expected and the fuzzy separation between work and my family has been challenging for my kiddos. I work in the main bedroom so I can close the door, but they still forget and come in to ask me random questions :lol:
For me it's the fuzzy separation between work, strange new inclination for baking, making and playing games, and cat...
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Cat is definetly on my mix, too :) . Playing and making games has less space than I would wish for these days, instead I am turning into an ebay power seller of little life pieces while we prepare for the move. In the days of yore I would have readied my fire axe when hordes of masked strangers would have entered my home, now I trade coin for embodied memory with them :P . Ah, I eat a lot more, sigh :lol: .

While strenous it feels actually really good to get rid of so many things I havent touched in years. Just the process of sorting the stuff, thinking about it is troubling. At the end I will certainly a less is more type of man (minus the belly fat thingie though :lol: :lol: :x ).
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB Beta v195 released, no liabilities, no warranties - use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjritvizko7ft ... 5.zip?dl=0

Many thanks to Dorateen and Zach for recent feedback!

- added new module property in toolset: "useLayers4And5AsNormalLayers", if set to true, layers 4 and 5 work as beforehand
- added potential crash fix related to drawing overgrowth
- fixed ui glitches related to placement of portraits and arrow panel toggle as well as text on portraits

Please try deleting the UI config files for main and combat from your module's UI folder (make copy beforehand) - this will cause the engine to use the default files for UI which I have updated with this release (from the default module's data folder). This might fix a few ui quirks you may have seen.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

I think I am gonna try to use the overgrowth code for a simplified light and darkness model for areas in utter darkness (eg dungeons).

Simplicity will be key here - it will only use squares (not the triangle shape approach I currently have), no colored light, no halos and will have no light flickering.

What I want to keep is darkness creeping back, torch on/off mechanic, line of sight rules (no lights through walls), and party independent light sources (stationary and on moving props).

Alright, onwards :) ...
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Torch system as well as LoS are up and running within the new lighting approach. Darkness is creeping back. Now for integrating prop lights, stationary and moving...
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Awesome, many thanks! I just downloaded 195 and adjusted the settings successfully. I played a few minutes of Malkin and everything looked normal and didn't crash.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

That's great to hear, Zack. I am relieved that it works out again. It's so easy to break stuff and without you guys' feedback I would easily get lost on the tricky way forward.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

hi youngneil1,

I deleted the MainUI file on the module folder, reverting back to the default UI. This now displays at the top of the screen the different traits for use such as Strongman, Investigator, Sage, etc. Also, on the old UI, there used to be an EXIT button next to the save icon at the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to change elements of the default UI? For example, since Hearkenwold is not using the trait systems for exploring the main map, I'd like to not show them.

Heark20519.jpg
Heark20519.jpg (287.32 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB Beta v196 released - use at your own risk, no liabilities, no warranties:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fboepvjhg4cgi ... 6.zip?dl=0

- based on Dorateen's feedback (many thanks!) I double checked whether the trait property showOnMainMap (found for reach trait in the trait editor of the toolset) is working as intended and found a bug; with v196 it should now do what it is supposed to do: if you set it to false the a trait will not be shown in the main map interface, if set to true the trait and its value appear in the top right corner (value can depend on current party leader, best in party, etc... depending on the corresponding set up for this trait)

I deliberately removed the old exit button to declutter the ui. Pressing ESC key will do the same now. Also, in the disk menu there is a return to main menu option.