IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
Dorateen

Re: IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Post by Dorateen »

youngneil1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 pm IB Beta v191 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k75jsr58xo9mu ... 1.zip?dl=0

- new module property: allEffectsUseFullSizeIcons (this returns all effects on pc/creatures to old full size)
- new effect property: thisEffectUsesFullSizeIcon (this can be used to make a selected effect drawn full size in any case)
- both new properties only refer to the icons on pc/creatures, the portraits always show small effect icons
This is great, thank you very much. I have already downloaded and started working with 191. I hope it wasn't too much trouble. We have both worked with IceBlink for a long time, and for me, sometimes I grow comfortable with the engine. Again, personal preference for the larger effects.

edit: Unfortunately, I tested it on a normal sized creature, and the effect is still showing as the smaller icon. See the attached with an orc hit by a sleep spell. In the toolset, I flagged the module property to True, and also these individual spells: Sleep, Hold, and Web, set to True.

Was this change only for large sized creatures? I have not tested that yet, but I will. Ideally, I'd like those debuffs to cover the entire actor on the combat map, regardless of token size.
Attachments
Heark200413.jpg
Heark200413.jpg (149.62 KiB) Viewed 7571 times
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Thank you for the heads up , Dorateen - I certainly botched there, it is intented to work for all creature sizes. I will look into fixing this in the next days :) .
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB Beta v192 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfb28uhec27ny ... 2.zip?dl=0

- fixed bug concerning full size effect icons on actors in combat (many thanks to Dorateen)
- began implementing code chnages for widescreen/ultra-widerscreen support: this will be iterative over many releases, please keep me updated if you encounter bugs/glitches introduced by this on your resolutions/displays; it's very easy to break stuff here, I fear
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

youngneil1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:05 am IB Beta v192 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfb28uhec27ny ... 2.zip?dl=0

- fixed bug concerning full size effect icons on actors in combat (many thanks to Dorateen)
Got it, thanks. Effects working perfectly on normal sized creatures.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Happy to hear, Dorateen :) . I really should do better debugging before releasing updates :roll: .

Currently, while commuting and only having the small notebook screen at hand (ie no work on widescreen support), I am looking into giving layer 4 of world map a new functionality: dynamic overgrowth/cover that is only removed when the party is near it, later on based on skill values for radius of removal. It might add mystery/danger of getting lost to exploring deep forests or foggy mountains.

Layer 5 is supposed to be drawn over party in any cases (illusion of party passing underneath structures/landscape parts).
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Overgrowth is so much fun! I am currently doing it in a regrowing way around the party, with transparency higher the nearer a tile is to the party. It looks very cool when the party moves through a dense jungle this way and the the jungle seems to swallow the party. Lost in the woods comes to mind. Same will work for cloudy mountains, foggy swamps, vulcanic smoke or deep waters (diving, vertical levels).

I am looking into tying this to the skill system now. Are your existing modules currently using layer 4 or 5? Then I will add some code to make this optional.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

youngneil1 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:50 pm Are your existing modules currently using layer 4 or 5? Then I will add some code to make this optional.
I am mostly working with layers 1 and 2, maybe had to use layer 3, but rarely. I don't think I've touched 4 and 5.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

I am mostly working with layers 1 and 2, maybe had to use layer 3, but rarely. I don't think I've touched 4 and 5.
Thank you for the swift feedback - the first iteration will then change layer 4 to dynamic overgrowth (removing itself when party gets closer, but also creeping back as party moves on), while layer 5 will be onTop layer. This onTop layer will turn 50% transparent when party is on same square and is always drawn on top of party.

Speaking of this:

IB Beta v193 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjxrlzeahtnqi ... 9.zip?dl=0

- dynamic overgrowth and onTop layer added, replacing layer 4 and 5 (see above)
- new properties added to area properties for 1) autofilling layer 4 of all tiles on this map with a specific tile graphic, 2) strength of overgrowth effect (stronger = more opaque) and 3) trait of tag that helps making overgrowth transparent (always using party leader's value)
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB Beta v194 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rliwakckq9kh5 ... 4.zip?dl=0

- improved the way the dynamic overgrowth (former layer 4) is scrolled/changes its transparency
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Brainstorming on next tasks:

- continue work on widescreen support (when coding at big screen)
- fix little bug on rightvscreen side when scrolling (main map)
- right mouse scrolling in combat
- player animations in combat (idle, breath)
- voice over option for Npc/narrator text
- mouse cursor shape change, ideally context sensitive
- replayability system (see above)
- animated full screen, voice over for intro/cuscenes
- options menu (key bindings, sound and music volume, maybe a few of the toggles in here, user set resolution)
- push block smoothly scrolling, too
- little graphic effect for jump action
- toolset: improve sorting/filtering of tiles
- extend script engine to work with all the new properties