IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Post by slowdive »

Sorry to hear about the RL yuckiness (sp?) I hope all turns out okay in the end, but it doesn't sound like a fun ride. On the selfish side, it will give me a chance to catch up with all the IBx UI, sound, script loading, and other issues before IB has a v184 :lol:
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

youngneil1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 pm
Edit: Speaking of time... RL is rather unpleasant right now here. A part of the owner/landlord familiy tries to legally force us out of our beloved, rent appartment. This makes me spend much time preparing for an upcoming legal battle as well as for studying the appartment/house market full force. And prices there are just crazy... well once my million selling IB campaign will be out in 216 years this will be peanuts in hindsight, of course :lol: .
Oh Karl, that sounds awful. Very sorry to hear. Housing woes are such a headache. Best of luck -- and everything in due time!
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Thank you guys :) , still a bit distracted here. Nonetheless, I am coding away whenever I can - as part of the event squares in enocunters project (see above) I am currently adding a fourth blueprint category to the toolset (triggers). This is harder than it might seem, but i am solwly crawling forward :) . Trigger blueprints will come in very handy as I have added like 10 or so new properties to triggers already (as discussed above). To set those up anew for each encounter would be a lot of repetitive work for buidling a campaign, so I hope trigger blueprints will speed up building a lot. If we were to start buidling IB anew, likely triggers and props would be a unified format from conceptual point of view (or maybe not and this is a stupid idea, who knows :lol: ).
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

I am very excited about these new triggers. There are great options for varying combat already, but this will make combat design even richer -- No two combats need feel the same. I've been designing a lot of combats with a conquer victory condition and enough enemies to make elimination victory more difficult -- adding a vanishing reward (like the treasure chest you talk about) to this mix would make for some challenging decision-making (Do I head for the end zone or try to fight it out for something I may not even have time to get?)

I've noticed one additional issue with the mouse-over enemy info -- if I have the mouse hovering over an enemy when combat ends, and my post-combat conversation fires, the stat block persists into non-encounter maps and won't go away until the next combat, blocking the log.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

zach_holbrook wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm I've noticed one additional issue with the mouse-over enemy info -- if I have the mouse hovering over an enemy when combat ends, and my post-combat conversation fires, the stat block persists into non-encounter maps and won't go away until the next combat, blocking the log.
I can confirm. For me, it happened once when a PC died at the end of combat. His stat block persisted (even after raising the character) but the log went back to normal in the next combat.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Thank you for the great feedback, Zach and Dorateen. I will add a clear stat block call to the check end of encounter method to catch this bug. Might take some time as I am rather crawling currently, but we will get there :) .
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB v184 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjqq3quaz80ww ... 4.zip?dl=0

- mouse over in combat on creature/pc will only show floaty stats (ini, hp, sp) of this specific actor
- tried to fix bug that soemtimes could cause actor info to appear instead of log on main map (rather untested, so this might need extra work)
- made triggers have blueprints (like items, creatures and props); this is a big one and was quite hard to get in; it allows you to reuse triggers you set up many times and hopefully speeds up bulidng; I expect a few bugs here though, so keep me in the loop, please
- mouse over info for triggers in combat added (like for pc and creatures)
- added a lot combat related new functionalities to triggers, here we go:
1. Hidden triggers in combat: Triggers can be set to be hidden now; this hides every prop on top of them (ie their graphic) and also prevents mouse over info/log info from being shown (reminder to self: double check for mouse over info): Gameplay idea: hidden traps or hidden boons
2. A toggle for determing whether a trigger works, too, when hidden (like a trap) or only works when found (like maybe a boon/beneficial square)
3. Finding: Authors can set up a finding trait and corresponding dc (ie difficulty) for each trigger. A character who gets within 1 square range of such a trigger checks (static check, like take 10; unsuccesful check is not shown in log) automatically for finding such trigger. Gameplay idea: discover hidden traps by scouting with your thief, find hidden boons eg by scouting with your ranger
4. Disabling: Authors can set up a disabling trait and corresponding dc (ie difficulty) for each trigger. This trait can be used (ie open trait menu, use trait, select target square) to disable a trigger. This is a rolled check (d20) against the dc. A disabled trigger does not show mosue over info (double check) and no info on log. Any prop graphic on top of it is hidden. Gameplay idea: A thief actviely uses eg a disarm trait in combat to clear the way for the party (and himself).
5. Enabling: Like disabling, but this time to activate a trigger. Gameplay: Maybe a wizard can activate summon circle or a cleric bless a healing pool that in turn heals party members who step on it later during this encounter.
6. Despawning: Again trait and dc. Static check (take 10). On success this removes triggers completely from the battlefield at the start of an encounter. Gameplay: Eg the ranger has scouted the area of the encounter and could choose a location with less dangerous underground.
7. Spawning: Like despawning, but this time (likely beneficial) triggers are created for this encounter. Same gameplay idea as despwaning (but for beneficial circumstances). Please not taht eg traps that only on creatures are beneficial for the party, too. Lots of creative options here.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Done :) .

Next up is making creature/trigger info more optional (or tying it to traits/global variables). After that, I will go for in-battle treasure chests (or the like) with time limits for getting to them (risk vs reward gameplay).
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Downloaded 184 and will do some testing.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Me too. Heading to Mexico for the week but am sure to get in some Iceblink when possible.