IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
youngneil1

IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Post by youngneil1 »

Ncie and shiny here :) - thank you for setting this one up, Jer!

I have been heavily coding on different fronts in the last couple of days - the next update will be rather large for sure (inter alia: combat scrolling on creature move and generally new camera behaviour in combat, revamp of combat log entries, new mouse over functionality with detailed info on pc/creatures and existing effects during combat, animated decorative props in combat, prop signs with mouse over texts in combat, fixed bug with certain usebale items, eg summoning wand).
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: IB (pc only, testbed) Development updates

Post by slowdive »

Yup, new forums for the new decade😂 putting a positive spin on the whole “I’m too scared to attempt to update the forum code and lose everything” thing.

The new code additions sound great. I’ll pull them into IBx once I have finished tackling more of the fps optimization inspections.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Forgive me some mad ramblings, please, need to brainstorm a bit:

Creatures show their TYPE (like eg "undead", "animal", "demon", "robot", "corporate lawyer"...) on mouse over.
Type is referred to by:
effects (affect only, affect never lists)
This is relevant for:
spell effects and therefore spells on weapons hit, spells from tirggers/props, spells cast by creatures or pc, spells from using items
effects lingering on the battlefield, left behind by spells like poison cloud

Creatures also show HIT BY on mouse over - this shows the PERK (e.g. holy, magic+1, obsidian, tax filing... - i might do a check whether last letter of a HIT By requirement is a number and then make the code automatically check for all PERKS with same text and a higher number at the end) a pc's weapons (incl .ammo and offhand - for the later I will add very simplified two-weapon fighting system, likely via damage adder to main hand attacks. and granting of addtional PERKS) needs to have in order to damage to a creature.
By default, this is set to "all" (eg no perk required).

PC show on mouse over the PERK(s) of their weapon.

All equipment worn by a pc writes TAGS into a pc's tag list (this includes the PERKS from weapons, shields and ammo). These TAGS are referred to by TRAITS of a pc, ie a trait only works when the PC has the rewquired TAG in its taglist. This way, traits like Axefighter (+2 to hit when wieldign an axe) or Haevy armor Expert (+2 AC in very heavy armor) become possible. This applies also for active traits that are used like spells (like an Armor Shatter trait that would reduce AC of target by 2, but would require wielding a two-handed-weapon).

Much of this is already in the code, I "just" (:lol: :roll:) need to finish it in a few places and then integrate it into our UI (mouse over info, party screen, log, trait descriptions, item descriptions, sigh...).
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

IB Beta v183 released - no warranties, no liabilities, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvpsiu8lzfu68 ... 3.zip?dl=0

- please activate smoothCombatMovement in the module settings to maintain compatibility (no worries, the creature do their idle little steps much less often and respect neighbouring creatures/pc/obstcales)
- this is a big release I will properly comment later, it contains ia:
1. combat camera following creatures smoothly on their turn,
2. detailed mouse over info on pc and creatures in combat, blending out the combat log temporarily
3. right mouse button on creature/pc in combat shows current active temporary effects on creature/pc
4. polish and consistent color coding for hundreds of differnt log entries for the combat log
5. new systems for requiring specific weapon types (holy, magic+1, etc.) to hit a creature
6. animated props in combat
7. info signs working in combat (mouse over text)
8. bug fixes left and right
9. a gazillion new bugs, I fear :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Congrats on the v183 release. I'll start importing the new commits to get IBx to v183 as well and test the new features on my iPad :P
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

I will download and test this week.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Great to hear, Dorateen. I keep fingers crossed it doesnt all go down in flames :roll: ...
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Please forgive me the unfiltered brainstorming on triggers/props in combat (info, functionality, trait interaction):

//mouseOverText on top (one liner, count chars)
//works for pc/creature/all
//charges
//every step (With multi square triggers)

//for all 3 events
//do the following only for scripts that call "gaCastSpellEncounterTrigger.cs" (ie no ibscripts), in case of event1.filenameortag
//get more info from the parms
//in case of event1.filenameortag
//filename.Equals("gaCastSpellEncounterTrigger.cs"
//string parm1 tag of spell
//bool parm2 remove effect immediately when leaving trigger square (true/false); this is handy for triggers that give positional buffs for position, simualting eg height advantage
//add effect tag for with duration > 0 (or buff/debuff) to tagsOfEffectsToRemoveOnMove list of cretaure/pc
//string parm3 caster level
//string parm4 custom log text override (this will not be needed)
//might finally do a efects contained

//eventually add trait related info to this for eg traps (disarm on step on mechnaism or trait use on the trap?), useability trait requiremnts (to have effect when stepping on it), spawn requiremnets (at start of battle), spawn prevention requirements (at start of battle),
//unveiling requirements for hidden triggers (successful triatc ehck of nearby character, might cerate nice gameplay where a thief scous a path)
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

youngneil1 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:47 pm Great to hear, Dorateen. I keep fingers crossed it doesnt all go down in flames :roll: ...
All is well. The only flames here were from our wizard's fireball.

I was able to start version 183, and load a previous save with no trouble, that's always a good sign. I have the smooth combat movement activated, and have to say the idle animations are not intrusive at all. I think I could get used to this. The way that monsters glide across the map is pretty neat.

The mouse over bringing up a creature's stat block is a great addition. It's very helpful to both a player and a builder. For example, I see that I still need to add some fire resistance on those fire beetles. But two thumbs up on the stat block. Also, the summon spell from item is working again. Our party's ranger got his teddy bear so he's happy.

Now one thing I want to reference in the screenshot below. Besides the stat block on the left, which is great, a mouse over on any creature brings up all the HP/SP/Initiative numbers on ALL creatures on the map. There are 6 party members (7 with the summon) and 5 enemies. To me, it seems like a lot of clutter. Especially just moving the mouse around, when you pass over a token it will cause all those numbers to pop up. Specifically, when I want to see the status of a particular enemy, I would like to see information on just that enemy. Any thought about adding a toggle or option for such? Again, the stat block is fantastic. It's the info on the map popping up for everyone that I think might be a distraction.

A couple of possible glitches I want to mention:

1. This is something I noticed post version 176. I do not seem to be hearing any combat sounds, or else it is very delayed sometimes a sound going off after battle. I recall there was talk around this time about combat music. Could this have caused an issue with the other battle sounds from weapons and spells? Anyway, if you get a chance to confirm.

2. A couple of times, when I mouse overed the creature with a sleep effect, I used the RMB to show that screen, which it did. However, then it seemed the character's turn was skipped. As if clicking the right mouse button counted as an action. Again, this was on an enemy. Did not have an issue using the RMB on a PC. If you could confirm.

Overall, the new version feels great. Good job, youngneil 1.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

That's really amazing feedback, Dorateen, many thanks for that :) .

I will change the mouse over behaviour to only show the floaty for the creature that the mosue cursor hovers over. I was torn myself whether showing this floaty info for all creatures was the right way to go. I am glad that the little idle moves of the creatures work out for you. They really begin to shine once we use five frame sprite sheets as these will display little steps on these idle moves (and when walking towards a target; also breathing animation and one customized idle move, like flex a muscle or scratch oenself with a leg or some such). The beauty is that five-framers and two-frames (as in Hearkenwold) both just work, so an author can easily match and mix sprites, depdnig on the assets available. All we need is an artist doing more five framers, gulp :roll: ... well, I will draw few stickmen later down the road :lol:.

Thank you for pointing me towards those two bugs (battle sounds, end turn on RMB). I will look into them and report back ...