Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
cartons

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Post by cartons »

That was a touch I really appreciated in Disco Elysium, and I think BG3 has sort of the same feature. It would certainly be a nice quality of life addition!
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks cartons and Pongo! It will have a toggle button of course. So players can turn it off and on if they want to use the original style or d20 style. Me personally, I don’t mind slowing the turn based combat down and giving it that additional pen and paper feel that we are going for. Other players may want faster combat and they can turn it off.
cartons

Post by cartons »

It's a point that had been on the tip of my tongue for some time, that I feel like the combat moves a little fast and that it can be difficult to follow what's happening when several enemies take their turn in succession. A toggleable option to slow it down and present the rolls could be a good way for slow-brained individuals like myself to keep up.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

So I have the d20 roll screen system working for regular attacks (melee and ranged). I only have it for PC attacks, not for creatures (I don't think I'll use it for creatures). At first is shows you want you need to roll to hit. After clicking the "ROLL" button, the d20 animates for a second and then stops to reveal your roll. The screen will then show you the result (including crit roll if threat range met) and wait for you to click "RETURN" to go back to the regular combat screen. Yo will then see the normal attack animation, hit or miss animation, projectiles, death animation, etc. The whole process of the d20 roll screen doesn't take too much time and I think it is a fun addition (a toggle to turn it off will be there).

Clicking on the green d20 will cycle through various different colors for the d20 so you can use the color you really like :lol:

Before roll (using american spelling of Defense, should I use Defence instead?):
IBbasic20.png
IBbasic20.png (109.45 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
After roll:
IBbasic21.png
IBbasic21.png (111.46 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
This one landed a CRITICAL HIT :D
IBbasic22.png
IBbasic22.png (108.22 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Here is a GIF version of the roll :lol: I used giphy.com:
IBbasicD20Roll.gif
IBbasicD20Roll.gif (723.14 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
You may notice that the attack didn't end the turn :D
I am working on making it so that you can move - attack - move. So to end your turn you need to have no more attacks left and no moves left or just click on skip turn. Each attack will be made separate so if you have two attack and one off hand attack you will get three separate attacks to make (and they can be on different targets) and even moves in between those attacks. Some actions should automatically end your turn, but I am not sure which ones should do that (spells do for now and running out of moves and attacks does as well).
cartons

Post by cartons »

Aw dude, this is so crunchy! I like the idea of attacks not automatically ending a turn; it can make certain finesse based PCs and enemies who can move away from enemies without triggering an opportunity attack that much more slippery.

Maybe this is asking a bit much, but now that you have a visible diceroll component set up, is there any chance we could see it applied to situations outside of encounters too? Click to roll the dice to see if you make that leap across the ravine, or make a successful bluff?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

cartons wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:08 pm Maybe this is asking a bit much, but now that you have a visible diceroll component set up, is there any chance we could see it applied to situations outside of encounters too? Click to roll the dice to see if you make that leap across the ravine, or make a successful bluff?
That's the hope. I would like to have a screen for passing DC checks. So this could pop up during a "gc_" check in a conversation or from a trigger script call. I should probably add an option to hide the d20 roll screen under some situations if you don't want the player to know you are running a check (say they pass a hidden door and if they make a DC check they detect it and if they fail they don't know any the better).
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Also I added the switching die color option. Just click on the 20 sided die and it will switch colors to one of the other default colors or to one of the images you placed in the "user" folder. The game loads all the images at launch and will cycle through the list on each click. The selected color will stay the same until the game restarts.
IBbasic23.png
IBbasic23.png (99.46 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
below is a file that is in my "user" folder for a custom color die:
d20nat.png
d20nat.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 3903 times
You could even make a realistic looking die from photos and bouncing around in the frames if you want. The file just needs to start with "d20" and be 48 pixels tall and 576 pixels wide (12 frames of 48x48).
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Blimey Slowdive, that was quick! Looks fantastic, look forward to giving it a go.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks Pongo! I’m pretty much finished with v1.0.08. I just need to do more play testing and I’ll probably release it on Thursday or Friday.