Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Post by slowdive »

I started working on IB v200. I have Mirror Image and Stone Skin effects mostly working (they need lots of bug testing first before I get too excited :lol: ).
Notice the 3 mini wizard images showing how many mirror images remain.
IB16.png
IB16.png (349.08 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I started adding the "number of uses per day" trait system. It may take a bit longer than I expected because I now realize that IB and IBbasic are using very different systems for handling Traits that can used like a spell (not passive). IB actually uses a spell that is referenced by the Trait and IBbasic has Traits that are basically spells themselves. So I'll need to put some additional thought into bring the new system into IB... not as straightforward as some of the other imported IBbasic features.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Again, great progress in short time :) .

The "isPublic" for Ibbasic is cool, especially once I will have to spent more time commuting again (less days in homeoffice). Having the "or" logic easily available for dialogue conditions, too, grants a lot more desgin freedom.

Uii, looks at those tiny wizards - very cute and good usage of the tiny tokens for mirror images. This is giving relevant gameplay information and enhances the looks at the same time.

IB traits are quite tricky the way they are set up, especially as in the end they root back to the very flexible effects system. "Daily usage" is a fine new mechanism for restricting the usage besides limting it via SP (which could be refilled midday). Also, depending on how campaigns interpret SP, it might be more lore friendly to have traits rely on daily usage and not on spell points/stamina points.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks Karl! I think I have the use of traits figured out now. So here is some proof that I have uses per day system working in IB:
IB21.png
IB21.png (52.26 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
IB18.png
IB18.png (67.37 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
IB19.png
IB19.png (155.88 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
IB20.png
IB20.png (407.41 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
I have the Lay on Hands "trait" set to be (0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4) so you get more uses per day at higher levels. I just did this for testing purposes of course. You can set any number of uses per day at any specific level. The number of uses per day resets at midnight or when using any of the "forceRest..." scripts.

Notice the multiple uses of lay on hands that did not show any HP gain? That was because there was a bug that took me a few times testing to figure out, but I found the bug and fixed the code and then it started healing me :lol:

I need to do some more testing first, but I should be ready to push out v200 this week. The next update (v201) will just be a lot of bug fixing and no new features.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Nice one - flexible number of usages (depending on level) allows to replicate D&D classes even better :) .

I hope you will not encounter too many bugs, but playtesting of all theses new systems has been limited, so I fear the one or other glitch will still loom there :oops: . It's a good idea to stabilize it all first a bit :D .
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks Karl! Hopefully the new systems will be fun to use. I finished v200 and it is now available here on the forums (see the IB Build Release thread). This release only has feature additions and various bug fixes associated with those addtions. I also added version text to the launcher screen so you can easily see what version is being run (it says IB v1.0.200 now). The next update (v1.0.201) will just be bug fixes. After finishing all the bug fixes and releasing v1.0.201, I'll give people a chance to submit anymore bugs found in v1.0.201. After that, I think we can release a "stable" build (v1.1.202) to the NW Vault. After that, I'll start adding features again in preparation for v1.2.xyz.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I made a few code additions to IBbasic. I added the smart dropdowns to scripts on triggers like we have on conversations. Today I mostly worked on converting The Elderin Stone to the new IBbasic. I think I have most everything converted, but I'll need to do some play testing first. It should be fun to play through The Elderin Stone with some of the new classes, races, traits, spells, finesse weapons, light weapons, two-weapon fighting, crits, and threat range. I'll need to see if it makes sense to adjust some of the spells that creatures have. I haven't started on the creature AI upgrades, but that should make things more challenging as well.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

A few bug fixes today in IBbasic. I mostly worked on updating "Lanterna - The Exile" to IBbasic and testing "The Elderin Stone" as well.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Today I did some more play testing and bug fixing with "Lanterna - The Exile". I haven't made a complete playthrough yet as I keep finding bugs to fix in the engine and the module. For the most part, everything is working well, but I am trying to find and fix every little thing so that the engine is well polished.

Something that crosses my mind is the idea of having a pop-up box when needing to make a roll (attack, DC checks, etc.) that displays all the relevant modifiers and a final rolled up "needed" number displayed and then you click a "roll" button and an animated d20 rolls to display the actual roll value with a "success" or "failed" and the rolled amount displayed on the die. Thoughts?
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Sounds good to me. When I'm gaming I find it helpful to see the modifiers etc clearly applying to a roll, otherwise I'm always a bit suspicious that the game isn't properly taking into account my traits etc. Show me the numbers! :) And the animated dice might be a nice presentational touch. Worth trying I think.