Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Post by slowdive »

Finished the common file handling and the server features. Back to actual game engine stuff now :D
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I did some play testing and fixing bugs this weekend. I play tested The Raventhal twice and enjoyed playing it... it had been awhile since I played it. I played once with the default Havfel and on the second playthrough I was a ranger with two-weapon fighting :D.

Also, my two kiddos started working on modules and so I was able to see when I need to add more intuitiveness to the in-app toolset. It is really nice to have all the server features. The kids are having fun instantly sharing their module updates with each other and leaving comments on eachothers modules.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

My kiddos are finding lots of bugs while working on their modules. The one feature they keep asking for is a "return to main menu" button on the launch, title, and party builder screens... so I added that for them :P very tough and demanding group they are :lol:

My son's (7) module is more like a character build creator and battle arena build tester type module. He likes to give you lots of XP and all the best items and then throw you right into huge battles :o :P

My daughter (11) is working on an adventure where you must solve the mystery and save the jungle. She has lots of fun conversations and interesting NPCs to meet. Plus, she has unique animal companions that may join you. She is doing a lot of artwork in her own unique style.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

After the "return to main menu" button request, my kids next most requested feature was to make setting up transitions easier. My daughter suggested having a map pop up and tap on where you want to transition to. So I added a button "setup transition" that when pressed, you are presented with a list of all the areas in the module. After selecting an area, a map is shown and you tap on the map where you want the transition to take you. The location marker is a red arrow. After tapping "accept transition", the trigger infor for area filename and x,y locations are automatically completed for you. Super easy and no need to memorize coordinates while you switch back and forth between area maps :D
TransitionWizard.PNG
TransitionWizard.PNG (246.16 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

The transition wizard seems like it can be pretty handy.I know when you have a lot of transitions, placing them can get tedious. Good suggestion.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I've been working on the data editor a bit and adjusting the engine to look for either a "data.json" file or a "data_append.json" file in the module's module folder. If you have a "data.json" file, it will be used instead of the default data file allowing you to have something completely different than the default Classes, Races, Effects, Spells, and Traits. If you use a "data_append.json" file instead in your module (you can't use both), then you can add your module specific Classes, Races, Effects, Spells, and Traits on top of the existing default ones. If you don't have either of these files, your module will just use only the default stuff. The IBbasic Data Editor allows you to create both of the data type files.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I added the ability to create and edit portraits in the in-app toolset art editor. I also added a function to copy the idle frame to the attack frame for tokens in the art editor. This way you can create a token in the idle frame and once you are happy you can copy it to the attack frame and adjust as necessary. For the toolset creature and item editors, I changed the select image for item and creature token to use the image selection screen instead of a drop down list of filenames. I updated the "todo list" in the IBbasic forum section: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Good work! I hadn't seen that list, it looks great - mirror image and stonrskin would be great additions for Spellcasters, I was just thinking about them the other day.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks Pongo and I added your suggestions to the task list. Yesterday and today I worked on animations triggering for attacks of opportunity. My kids would keep forgetting that if they moved away or around a creature it would get a free attack. Now they get a visual reminder with a creature attack animation, a miss or hit symbol, and floaty damage text as well :lol:
I also fixed a bug that was causing the attack animation for creatures not showing for normal melee attacks.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Made a few more additions and organization to the "IBbasic Features List". Plus, I added a flag to each feature/bug fix to indicate if it is needed for the initial release or if it can wait for subsequent versions.