Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
Dorateen

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Post by Dorateen »

Sounds good. I really like the idea of a bandage trait that you mentioned in the previous post. That can be critical if the party runs out of healing options with characters reduced to negative hitpoints and bleeding every step as they try to reach a place to recover. I think making it available to all classes at level 1 is fine.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

So I have the Xamarin version and the PC version all synched up for the new IBbasic (dropping the IBbasicJr name) (including the iOS and android versions both working). I am now looking at adding portraits back into IBbasic. I removed them previously because I wanted to focus on art assets that would be easy to make in the built-in art editor. I miss having the portraits for PCs and conversations so I will be adding them back in and adjusting the art editor to allow for creating and editing them. Also, I am moving back to the original focus of 2D areas, 4 attributes, 4 item slots, and no ammo (similar to the original version of Iceblink). IBbasic will go back to being truly a basic version of IB (basic compared to the current version of IB) with a focus on easy building (faster, easier, intuitive), story and party based fun modules, and interesting and varied encounters (better AI, tactics, more combat mechanics, traits/spells).
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Here is the layout I am thinking will work. I need to fix the centering a bit. I am not sure if I should move all the items to one side, the traits/spells/effects/info to the other side and have the token under the portrait.
OffHand07.PNG
OffHand07.PNG (175.4 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Here is what the revised main map screen looks like with a full party and portraits:
IBbasic01.PNG
IBbasic01.PNG (236.43 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Those screenshots look great. For the character sheet above, it would indeed be nice to have the token positioned under the larger portrait. But looks like that will require moving the other elements around and possibly scaling them down in size.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Yeah those screenshots are looking great! Loving all the new stuff that's been added recently, like two weapon fighting.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Thanks Pongo and Dorateen! Pongo, I am looking to have Blackwinter be the default module that comes with IBbasic. I see that there are a number of maps and other parts that were not finished and I know this was just a demo module at the time it was released. It still plays well and has a full story with a start and a finish so I think it would be fine. I could also use The Raventhal as before. I will of course have The Raventhal and The Elderin Stone as part of the in-app download modules as before. Thoughts?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I adjusted the layout of the party screen and also added The Elderin Stone default player portraits back in:
IBbasic02.PNG
IBbasic02.PNG (178.85 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
IBbasic03.PNG
IBbasic03.PNG (159.4 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
You can see that Murray hasn't learned the two-weapon fighting trait (L1) just yet, but he really wants to dual wield those long swords :lol:

Do you like this layout better? Or should I have the 4 item slots in the first two rows and the spell/trait/effect/info in the last two rows? They are very easy to move around in code.

This is what the other layout looks like:
IBbasic04.PNG
IBbasic04.PNG (159.02 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Yeah that's great, thanks Slowdive! I haven't played Blackwinter in years, I'll have to have another look at it at some point. I had all kinds of plans for it that never actually happened (which wasn't unusual, sigh!). I think there's a couple of outstanding bugs in the Elderin Stone that I need to check out as well at some point.

Personally, I prefer the second of the screenshots - something about having the dual wielding weapons on the left and right of the portrait appeals to my OCD. But I'm happy with either.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

I absolutely agree, the dual weilding looks better on the left and right of the portrait.