Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
slowdive
Site Admin

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Post by slowdive »

Fog of war will work like it used to with black tiles covering unexplored squares. I will adjust the zoom in/out and panning to be limited to the map edges. I’ll have the panning by click + drag and keyboard as well. Maybe zoom could have a keyboard key as well.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I finished importing all the scripts from IB to the IB unity version. Maybe I'll call the Unity version IB2 or IBu? I am going through all the imported scripts one-by-one and commenting out the parts that will need adjusting (draw and animation stuff mostly). So I have a lot of "TODO" parts :lol:

I just have the "CommonCode" script left to go through. I'll then start tackling one screen at a time starting with the launcher screen and then the title screen. So overall some good progress has been made with the limited time I have.
Dorateen

Post by Dorateen »

Looking forward to see more examples of Unity IceBlink.

I think we had an IceBlink 2 version at some point. IBU could work, almost reminds me of an academic institution.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

This does sound exciting. How much revision would a Unity version of IceBlink require on the builder's end?
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

zach_holbrook wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 pm This does sound exciting. How much revision would a Unity version of IceBlink require on the builder's end?
I’m coding the Unity version so that it will not require any changes from the builder. That is the plan. It should only create new options. The only parts that may change are some of the trickier code additions that Karl added that I can’t figure out how to convert (maybe the lighting system, but that should have a good Unity option to use).
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Sounds great. I'm eager to test things out and play around with new options -- school ends next month, so I'll be working on Malkin a lot again very soon!
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Some more slow progress here as I try to learn Unity. Unity works very different from the way IB does for handling game loop and game object stuff so it is taking me a bit to get accustomed to the new way of doing things. So far I have the launcher screen working (the UI is mostly prototype and will need some IB specific style) and the title screen comes up. On the title screen, I have the exit and load saved game mostly working. I'll probably work on handling all the trigger, fog of war, and movement blocking stuff next before returning to the create character and party builder screens for "new game" option on title screen.
zach_holbrook

Post by zach_holbrook »

Nice! Sounds like good progress to me.
cartons

Post by cartons »

Taking a break from building after finishing the first major dungeon in my game, but just piping in to say that I TOO am excited about this IBU!
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

Quick update. I have been able to get some more work done with IB v204 (which will be using Unity). I have the area transitions working and area loading happens on demand instead of all at the start of the module. This means the module will load up very quickly (I still need to clean up some additional repetitive loading code first). I also have FoW working and started on a settings screen. I'll be adding some more settings menu features that are shown in this video: https://youtu.be/YOaYQrN1oYQ

Here is a quick video to show where I am at as of today (much of the UI are still placeholder stuff):
https://youtu.be/78oxEmLy7iw