Unreal Engine Side Project: Pt0

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.
youngneil1

Re: Unreal Engine Side Project: Pt0

Post by youngneil1 »

Hey, Phil, good to read you! Yeah, I wonder, too, where it will take take me :lol: . It is fun while working on it and I learn a lot of new stuff (big question is though whether I learn faster than I forget, which I doubt :roll: ).
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

So, very slomo here.

I am currently trying to learn the animations system of Unreal a bit better (this will be direly needed for eg implementing hit feedback for enemies hit by shots). Furthermore, I have integrated a new plugin that allows for basic dialogue and onscreen object descriptions.

The later ties into my current vision where Pt0 actually might take place (besides just being a very large, very abstract space). Last shower idea was that the player(s) explores a dead/malfunctioning AI chip (via neuronal interface, very likely getting trapped inside the AI chip, eventually with other players in the same situation, too; might be a volunteer program with a sinister background or something even more evil). The AI has either not developed full conscience yet or maybe lost its marbles, but either way there are fragments of what it once was or intended to become already/still present. This could could be material fed to the AI with which it was supposed to develop its personality and knowledge about the real world. Or it is one step further and the player encounters the dreams of the AI created while forming/losing its conscience.

These fragments manifest themselves via objects with text descriptions as well as NPC with dialogue inside this abstract space (which I like to call The Abstrabyss). Thing with these objects and NPC is that they are not fully formed. They, too, look like the abtract shapes around them (an old, crooked tree might just be a white pillar, an air ship a large gray plane, a beggar a moving black cube, etc.). But the texts describing them as well as their dialogue are much more tangible and are in stark contrast to what is seen on screen. I hope that this creates an eery disconnect, especially as the NPC will (mostly^^) not be awere of their true state, acting in the context of the described surroundings and under the impression to be real persons. These NPC/scenarios might be a wild mix of times and places. Wonder if this will work out and where it will lead...
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

The setting idea sounds great so far. When you have a playable multiplayer version ready, we should run through it together :D

Have you played "Grounded" by Obsidian (it uses Unreal too)? We should really try and put an IB group together to run some sessions in the "backyard". It is still in early release and I think you can buy it through Steam or Microsoft store or play for free if you have Xbox Game Pass for PC.
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Ha, multiplayer is far away (if ever, also it would likely be a "meet in the hub", "exchange paths to points of interest in the Abstrabyss via auction house" and maybe even "decorate little piece of real estate around a central square with trophies from your journeys" type of multiplayer rather than exploring the Abstrabyss itself together). But yes, it would be awesome to share that experience as early as possible.

I have not tried "Grounded" so far, but it looks intruiging. Having a gaming group set up with our regulars here is a fantastic idea - count me in :). Of course, finding a fitting time slot will be a challenge across time zones and with scoial/job responsibilities looming on the left and right, but it's worth a shot for sure :) .
youngneil1

Post by youngneil1 »

Another good coop game would actually be Valheim. It has a great dark/nordish fantasy vibe to it and is exploration heavy. I played it like for 2 hours singe player a few weeks ago and quite liked. For long term motivation though it is clearly build around the idea of a group of friends playing together :) .
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

youngneil1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:48 am Having a gaming group set up with our regulars here is a fantastic idea - count me in :). Of course, finding a fitting time slot will be a challenge across time zones and with scoial/job responsibilities looming on the left and right, but it's worth a shot for sure :) .
I'm pretty flexible with schedule so whatever works best for others. I can propose a few time slots and see if any work for others. I haven't heard of Valheim so I'll need to check that out.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Hey good idea! I'm a bit unreliable at the minute due to the young kids, but I'd be up for giving it a go. Haven't played either of those games.
slowdive
Site Admin

Post by slowdive »

I would suggest we try for a one hour period and players can come and go during that time as needed. Grounded (by Obsidian) works well for dropping in and out. It is pre-release so may be buggy other than the intentional bugs in the backyard. My xbox tag is SlowdiveFan. You can sign up for $1 for one month of Xbox game pass for PC and try our Grounded.

I'll propose any of the following times:

All times in UTC (-07:00 AZ time)
Saturday or Sunday 14:00 (07:00 AZ time)
Saturday or Sunday 16:00 (09:00 AZ time)
Saturday or Sunday 20:00 (13:00 AZ time)
Saturday or Sunday 22:00 (15:00 AZ time)

Whatever time works best for most, I'll be in game during that time and if you are able, drop in.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Saturday 26th at 22.00 would be good for me, kids should be asleep and my wife is away! So that should be perfect.

Could probably make other times as well if they're better for others.