Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am

Many thanks for trying out v156. It is great to hear that scrolling in the latest iteration works out well on your pc, too. I think it's best indeed to make scrolling always on and remove the option for the old the block wise instant movement. With player walk animations inbound and for debugging triggers/interactive props it will be much easier for me this way. I have a look now into scrolling movement via click on screen. There is some cool potential there, maybe.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:13 am

For starters, I made clicks on the arrow buttons (and buttons generally) more reactive. They cause an event (here: scrolling movement) now in the moment the mouse button is pressed down (beforehand it was on realase of the mouse button). Movement via arrow buttons is much faster and more responsive now.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:25 am

Holding mouse button down on an arrow button causes continous scrolling (working with button down and button up timers) in my internal verison now.This is very convenient and saves a player many mouse clicks. This technique is rather promising for key press movement, too (maybe I can code around the held key delay of windows this way), and perhaps even for point-and-click on mainmap movement. We will see where this leads... flexible speed and momentum are some crazy ideas in my head right now.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 pm

IB Beta v157 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/loxx8k09anslr ... 9.zip?dl=0

- arrow key and arrow button scrolling took the next milestone; give those a try, especially when holding key/arrow button down, please, and let me know how it feels for you (must still do wasd and point-and-click scrolling); still a few bugs, but it is great fun to change directions now midscrolling and eg fluidly circle around a tile/object
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 pm

IB Beta v158 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2y37tn48lqi7 ... 8.zip?dl=0

- wasd, num block and especially hold-mouse-button scrolling (speed and direction depend on live mouse cursor position while mouse key is held down) are in; lots of bug fixes around these
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Hey, quick question... I forget, is there a way to allow large sized props (200 x 200) on the map? I know we can make tiles bigger than 100 x 100, but if I wanted to create a monster as a prop to place and then remove, is that possible?
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:07 am

I think there are several ways to paint a prop larger than 100x100 on the map:

1. Enlarge a prop by using the sizeFactor property of a prop (somewhat hidden in section 9 - Prop Animation under Prop properties, it also works for non-animated props), 100 is standard, use eg 200 for 2x2 squares prop (I just tested this to be working)

2. Paint the prop itself in other dimensions, eg a 300x300 pixels prop should cover 3x3 squares (untested, but the code has this kind of autodetection)

Please keep in mind all gameplay logic attached directly to the prop is only called from its top left square still. You could place an eg 2x2 trigger underneath it though and then call logic from that trigger, including removing the prop via osSetProp script maybe, called from onEndCombatBbScriptHook of an encounter.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

youngneil1 wrote:
1. Enlarge a prop by using the sizeFactor property of a prop (somewhat hidden in section 9 - Prop Animation under Prop properties, it also works for non-animated props), 100 is standard, use eg 200 for 2x2 squares prop (I just tested this to be working)

Beautiful! This is exactly what I needed. Thanks.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 am

A pleasure, great to hear that the feature will be made good use of.

For me the last few days have been debugging left and right (not the scrolling itself, but the consequences of the adjusted controls). I want to have it all as bug free as possible. Otherwise it will be a nightmare revisiting these code sections once they are gone from my short term memory.

Next up order of things will likely be:
1. Better draw logic for the party tail (less overlaps with obstacles when the party changes direction)
2. Party walk anmiation
3. Prop walk animation
4. Maybe idle animations for party and props
5. Back to ships, sea squares, etc... see concept a few pages beforehand in this thread
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

More for my self:

The party tail will likely get a scroll direction property of its own, like tailScrollingDirection. This will always be oriented towards the party's last position (check relative positioning, then set tail scrolling direction). Tail is only scrolled if party itself enters scrolling mode (isScrolling). Speed of scrolling will be the same as the party scrolling speed. Will also use the same timers.

This will likely require to have an own draw path through the layered draw routines for tail.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions