Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 am

Scrolling progress again. The continous scrolling (key held down) glitch seems to be gone, which is awesome as this kind of smoothly scrolling around the gameworld feels just great (and should we get walking animations up and running this will even feel better or so I hope). But... very swiftly single clicking of a key still can cause event detection problems (props, triggers). Investigating, as always :lol: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:54 am

Great to hear and read all the progress on IB. I've been a bit out of it lately with putting the house back on the market. The good news is that we are currently under contract and hopefully everything goes through. All my gear is stored away for now except for my phone :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 am

That's great news there... keeping fingers crossed for the final mile :) !

The updates to IB are moving along nicely indeed. That said, I see a lot of bugs recently due to the scolling implementation (or actually even rooting back to older versions but I only find them now as I test so much stuff to debug the scrolling). It's a bit daunting to stabilize this ever rising jenga tower of oddly shaped building blocks :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am

Again reached a point where scrolling feels bug free (but I had this several times before, so I am only cautiously optimistic). I am debugging for the start of Hearkenworld at the same time as for the Tutorial Module, so I hope the new scrolling movement will not break any old systems. Much depends here on an author's individual technique of setting up events though (there are so many ways to do this by now).

I managed to increase the reactivity and perceived smoothness again by reducing the moveDelay setting for allowing a new key input (was 100ms, is now 10ms). Also, the main game loop is called 1ms after the last call ended (there was a 16ms gap beforehand). So the ever repeating graphics/physics as well as the input event handlers run more often, giving more direct user feedback and allowing for more fps. I will have to watch closely for any bugs maybe spwawning from this, eg key presses taking effect before results form last key press have been fully processed.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 am

Internally done with v155. This will have the definitive iteration of the scrolling itself (for quite some time at least, I am a bit worn thin by coding this for many, many hours). In the end I am going with a very fast scrolling on single key press. It is not too much different to the non-scrolling block per block movement of old, to be honest. This way, the player still has a very high agility (control speed by repeated presses, abruptly change direction) when traversing the map. Still, everything subtley feels more connected and elegant because new squares do not pop in anymore, but very swiftly glide into view. I have run it with Hearkenwold and Malkin (Combat&Conversation) and both seem to work fine. Triggers did what they were supposed to and graphics played along nicely (from what I could see from my tests at the beginning of each module). I hope you will like how the new controls feels in these modules, but of course this is subjective in the end.

When holding a movement key down, after a short delay (key repeat delay of windows, did cost me quite a few colord hairs to a) figure this one out and b) fruitlessly try to work around it) the party will smoothly sail across the map now. This is great for traversing long distances in known areas (for short distances it is too fast and therefore uncontrolled). Even changing maps does not break this stride.

There's a bug with graphic indicators for bridges and (opened) secret doors I have to fix (not related to scrolling). Afterwards, I will look into party walking animations while scrolling and also do the same for mover props.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 pm

IB Beta v155 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hqlk74yfm2ra ... 5.zip?dl=0

- finalized scrolling on mainmap
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri May 03, 2019 2:38 am

Awesome work there Karl! Although all this scrolling and optimizing isn't fun coding, it will definitely make the gameplay feel more fluid for players.

We are still in the 10 day inspection period so not a done deal yet... Stressful :)
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:52 am

Thank you, Jer :) . Graphics engine and optimization coding is indeed not my favourite stuff to do (gameplay systems are), especially because it is rather hard to debug due to how fast and parallel everyhing happens and optical impressions can be very deceiving here (eg is it choppy because it scrolled not far enough or did it scroll too far and is therefore choppy, both causing a corrective hiccup).

I hope the stressful waiting phase will be over soon and you will have a good deal for the house in the end :) ! It would be quite a big hit for my nerd life to be separated from my beloved electronic gadgets for too long... or a good excuse to get some additional mobile gaming stuff (Swift, Oculus Quest), hehe :lol: .

On another note, I just fixed the aforementioned bug with graphic indicators for bridges and (opened) secret doors. Oh, and v155 has some crash bug for the Tutorial module on party creation screen (I think a mismatch with the character files and graphics included). Will be fixed in v156.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 pm

IB Beta v156 released - no warranties, no liabilities, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1a7b1b9rv6jk5 ... 6.zip?dl=0

- bug fixes (ia scrolling with light source, clearing of floaties when going east, loading lit state of party torch from savegame, etc)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon May 06, 2019 5:49 pm

youngneil1 wrote:IB Beta v156 released - no warranties, no liabilities, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1a7b1b9rv6jk5 ... 6.zip?dl=0

I downloaded the new version, and so far seems to be working great.

One thing I wanted to bring to your attention. Under the module properties, if you set the useScrollingSystem to false, it will disable movement completely. I could not move using the keyboard or the movement pad, or by point and click.

I have to say, I think the latest improvements to scrolling system are pretty good, and I was likely going to start using this. I had been on the fence for a while. And going forward, it might be your intention that the scrolling system should be the method for IceBlink. If that's the case, perhaps we should discontinue the option to turn it off in the module properties? For reference, I was able to do so in build 148, but just noticed this yesterday in 155 and confirmed in 156. Again, if it is trouble supporting both methods of movement, it's OK to stick with the scrolling system only. Seem to be working more smoothly now.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions