Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby slowdive » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

This sounds great... Unlocking doors after completing a puzzle :D

I've been playing PoE at night for half an hour at a time. First time for me since I was an original backer, but have been too busy to play anything really. I need to try and do better at splitting my little free time with playing and coding both. Helps stay aware of whats going on out there in the crpg world :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Yep, I am looking forward for some environmental puzzles in our gameworld, too. Reading abuot Baba is You right now (while we get a Sokoban variant in here for IB) - rather inspiring to the see creativity unleashed in Baba is You.

So many games in my back log, sigh. Then again, it is comforting to know there's always intesting stuff out there, just in case, hehe. Currently, Division2 is stealing coding time from me (marvelous immersion in dystopic Washington DC). Oh, and only a few minutes ago No Man's Sky Beyond was announced. Good times :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am

Looks like the pushable props (and their grid) are working as intended (only full field testing will show all potential quirks here, as there are so many options).

I managed to link a chest (and door) to the completion of a pushable grid - it will only open when all connected objects are in the correct position. This should allow for some nice gameplay designs in the future :) .

Currently, I am coding a lever prop (switch on/off via bumping into it, it will change its bitmap/icon depending on its state). It will be tied to doors and chests as described above for the pushables' grid.I think via an intermediate IBscript authors could even do setups that will require certain multi lever state combinations for a door/chest to open up.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 am

That sounds really cool and should open up some interesting game play options for builders... Will probably require some of that not so fun stuff called documentation :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 am

First test lever up and running - it does already what it is supposed to do (opening a chest in the tutorial module), but there are still some little bugs/polish tasks left.

Yep, sigh, I will indeed have to do a rather extensive documentation on all the interactive props (and how they tie into the trait/skill system). At least, I have already added tooltips in the toolset for all properties - that's a start, ain't it :lol: ?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:47 pm

Tooltips are massively helpful and should be enough for most to get started.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:28 am

I use the tooltips a lot for myself, too. So much quicker than going back to code base and figuring stuff out (again). I just wish we could make them stay permanently while hovering over an entry. Currently they fade after a few seconds which is a bit short for longer tooltips. I havent found any setting so far that we could change to increase the duration for which the tooltips are shown (or to show them all the time as long as the mouse cursor is over an entry with tooltip).

Fixed all the bugs with the new lever prop that I could find. It's fun to switch it on and off repeatedly by bumping into it. Simple stuff, yet entertaining :) . Currently, I am adding four more optional global ints requiring a specific value for a chest or door to open (cumulatively, so each one used must have the correct value). This will make complex lever or even combined lever/pushable grid puzzles possible without resorting on IBScript (just for the sake of convenience).

Afterwards, I will add a property to pushable grids that will set whether the completion state is lost again when moving a pushable object away from its intended end position (or whether completing a pushable grid once is all that is required and later changes do not remove the completion state again). I have a gut feeling - without really being able to put my finger on it yet - that this might come in handy down the line.

When that is done, I will draw some default grapohics for lever and pushable objecxts (maybe a crate).

Finally, I will set course towards breakbale objects... Phil's band of dwarves can do some heavy mining when I am finished with this one (or that's the plan at least :lol: ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:05 am

The mechanism for setting the completion state of a pushable grid to false again after removing a pushable prop from its intended end position in the grid is implemented and seems to work just fine. I have also added four more (total of five) global ints as optional multiple requirements for a chest/door to open.I must yet do more playtesting for these though.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Sounds great! I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to try where you are currently at in the tutorial module. I haven't tried it out in weeks. Side note, I may be setting up my old recording studio a bit as well... Getting all the gear out at least :lol: fun times.

Check out the new Swervedriver "Future Ruins" if you find some time.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:55 am

Great to hear :) . The tutorial module will not appear that much changed, but if you get to the end of the little dungeon an outdoor map awaits you. It has quite a few of the new systems on it and shows off clouds and snow, too. It is hand painted (well mostly just green) in order to test performance with tile streaming and you will find a large mountain on it, caleidoscoped (hehe, new word creation) by the height level system. I think one advantage of hand painted maps will be the ability to place very large cohesive structures on them.

Looking forward to your recordings there :) . Sounds good that you can unfold all the packed stuff again.

Thank you for the Swervedriver heads up, I will check it out on the weekend :) .

Graphics for lever and crate are implemented now (well, rather ugly :roll: ). I am contemplating to add extra depth to the main map puzzles by limiting the number of turns in which a pushable grid must be completed before it is resets (optional). This would require even more strategic planning and might be challening and fun for the players. It would be about laying out the optimal route and sequence of events. Planning and then rewarding execution.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions