Default Rule System

Discuss the IceBlink Engine

Re: Default Rule System

Postby Lurking Grue » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Concerning implementation of BAB, saving throws, etc. I could imagine that having a simple points per level adder for Saves like for BAB (e.g. 0.75) would be easier than a table (but that's really minor as it's a one time only work to fill out the table).

I would really like BAB use a table instead of a mathematical formula (like Character Level x Class Multiplier) as it is now. It would be much easier to implement non-d20/OGL kind of BAB (and Saves) progression. Also, not requiring a rigid mathematical formula for it would enable asymmetrical BAB progression, which some (like me) would like to use. Maybe have an option for either a simple Level times Class Multiplier formula OR a table. For the table, I'd propose a something like the example table below:

Code: Select all
 *** BAB Table for Character Class XYZ ***
 Character                   Attacks
  Level                 1st     2nd     3rd
-------------------------------------------
     1                   0       x       x
     2                   1       x       x
     3                   2       x       x
     4                   3       1       x
 (etc. up to level 20 or so... for starters)

In the above table, the author would insert the values for BAB and if multiple attacks per round are possible including their BAB (which can be same as for the 1st attack or not). A number gives the BAB modifier to attacks (which could be negative even, a penalty to attack!), an x denotes the extra attack is not possible, i.e. the character doesn't have it. This kind of table allows for asymmetrical BAB increase, as said above, conversely to rigid multipliers which do not. If you've read my ramblings on the rules I'd like to use in my intro module, you'll know I'd hope to use such an "unconventional" BAB progression.

Same goes for Saves, by the way. I'd pretty much custom fit the save modifiers, like with BAB. Having a similar table, but in place of the 3 attack columns, there would be 3 columns for the modifiers for FORT, REF, and WILL saves.

Oh, another thing, not concerning BAB or Saves, but racial traits. If memory serves (have to check this), the Race Wizard does not allow assigning traits for races, but only allows attribute modifiers for them. I'd hope to have racial traits enabled, plz! (If I remember this wrong, and there already are racial traits, ignore this. :? )
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:37 pm

The saves use such table setup already, allowing to manually enter the value for each level (it's just in there different lists, not in one shared table). I would be fine with having it for BAB, too (it' s just one time work of entering it, so no biggie). Attacks per round right now factor in via attackPC.cs script (formula used there is: pc.BaseAttBonus / 6 + 1). It would be more comfortable to be able to set the number of attacks for pc directly here in the toolset/class editor and then have the script read out that value. Good idea for a flexible and transparent setup, Grue.

Racial traits are not in so far and I would like to have the option, too. Will go a long way to makes races feel more distinct and special.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Lurking Grue » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:57 pm

youngneil1 wrote:The saves use such table setup already, allowing to manually enter the value for each level (it's just in there different lists, not in one shared table).

Well huh, so they do. What a brainfart from me. :oops:

A similar setup, where a popup window opens where you enter the values, would be good for BAB too.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General Engine Discussion