Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:20 am

I had a very productive session this weekend. Against my rather low hopes, our little engine has now another trick up in its sleeve now: scrolling :D !

Now, we are still grid based (no freeform collision system) and this has implications for the type of scrolling. It is still scrolling from square to square, so the player cannot change direction or stop inbetween two squares or move at wild angles. Nonetheless, having new squares (and evertyhing else, minus ui and party in dead center of screen) smoothly sail in and old ones elegantly glide out makes a lot of difference for the way that movement feels. Holding a move button down and soaring across the map feels much better this way, imho. Generally, all movement - even a single step - feels much more fluid. We have not gained any fps by this particular change (it costs ressources actually), but it feels like we had a huge fps gain. Tricks of the mind and eye, I guess :lol: .

This is one of the changes with the most bug portential so far. I hunted down alot of them already. By now, the new/standard useAllTile system for drawing maps seems to work without - visible - glitches, so far (well, the light map around the party is a tiny bit out of synch due to the binary way it works, but this is only noticable at extreme move speeds/taps of the move button or very low scroll speed settings). But I still have work to do for the old way of drawing the map (eg used by Hearkenwold). It already works quite well in Hearkenwold, too, but there's eg still some flickering and strange draw omissions going on with the outer rows. I will have to bend my mind around very old code again. Ah, we will get there 8-) .

In the end, there will be a new property in the toolset to turn scrolling on/off. I will also add a setting for scrolling speed, so authors can adjust this to their own preferences. Later down the line, I might try to get in optional move animations for the party (so an author could use two or maybe more frame walk animations that are palyed during the scrolling phase).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:36 pm

IB Beta v152 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocga4s54cztt8 ... 2.zip?dl=0

- implemented scrolling system for main map, defaults to on (use the useScrollingSystem and scrollingSpeed settings from module editor to turn it off/change speed)
- tried to have full compatibility with old modules (using Hearkenwold as testing ground)
- lots of bug fixes related to the first two points (and a few additional fixes for old modules, rooting back to quite a few versions earlier)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:04 am

I am currently hunting a few more bugs with the new scrolling system (likely not relevant for modules that do not use neighbouring, ie seamless, maps). So far only minor optical stuff, but it's quite tedious work. IB currently has a lot of different calls for simply black squares (which can be modified though) to mask stuff (utter darkness, fog of war, hide sprites offscreen, frame the screen,...). Also not drawing a tile leaves a black square, too. In this scenario, it's quite time consuming to figure out the reason why you see a black square when you shouldn't ;) . It doesn't help either that the whole draw hierarchy has grown organcially over time and due to me being me quite chaotically, too, hehe :lol: .
'
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:45 pm

IB Beta v153 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own Risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh0ra6hs055xn ... 3.zip?dl=0

- lots of performance and scrolling optimizations
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi youngneilone,

I had a chance to try version 148 over the weekend, and there are a couple of issues I wanted to mention:

1. The "x" option is available to toggle hiding the UI, including the party portraits on the right side of the screen. However, by default, those portraits slide away and disappear. I don't think it's immediately apparent to new players that the x hot key will bring this back up. Is is possible to configure a module so that the party portraits remain visible by default? (Still with the option to hide them, if the player wants.)

2. When transitioning to a new map that has not been explored before, the entire area is dark, including the tile and surrounding tiles the player starts on, as well as the player token not being shown. This is disorientating, as it does not communicate the progression through like areas (following the road for example, or moving through a dungeon), in addition to making it seem like the party has vanished until the player takes the first step.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Hey Dorateen, thank you very much for reporting these issues - both will be fixed in upcoming v154 (ui starts in static mode and everything is drawn properly right away when switching areas). Furthermore, it includes even more polish for the scrolling mode.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:40 pm

IB Beta v154 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxbbadx06xpsk ... 4.zip?dl=0

- default UI is static again (use x to turn it on/off), use f to switch to dynamic ui mode
- bug on area transition (all black) fixed
- a heapload of work on polishing scrolling and performance optimization
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 am

I found a way to scroll continously with key held down in a very smooth fashion (cross neighbouring maps,too, so you can easily jog form one end of the the gameworld to the other, watching the landscape smoothly glide by), but there are problems with the doupdate() method I have to resolve. Currently, the party ends up on the square behind an encounter if swiftly scrolling into it (after the eocnounter has been resolved properly). This has unwanted consequences if eg a second encounter is on the square right behind the first encounter. This is a tricky one to fix for me, but it will be worth the sweat and blood :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 pm

youngneil1 wrote:IB Beta v154 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxbbadx06xpsk ... 4.zip?dl=0

- default UI is static again (use x to turn it on/off), use f to switch to dynamic ui mode
- bug on area transition (all black) fixed

I downloaded the latest build, and these issues are resolved. Thank you very much! Again it is a credit that a module, which was created long ago, and saves from previous games are functioning well in the new engine.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:59 pm

A pleasure, Dorateen. I am really thankful for your commitment to Hearkenwold and IB over all these years.

The scrolling - as was to be expected - is still unnerving me big time. It works great for single steps, but smooth scrolling with button held down (and without glitches) is really testing my limits. The intricacies of the interaction of our ever repeating game loop and the event handler for keys are a big mystery to me. Oh well, an opportunity to learn - the question is whether it will be new knowledge I acquire or an increase in the modesty attribute in the end :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions