Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 am

I have been a bit knocked out here by some nasty tooth treatment, ouch :( . Growing old is fun :mrgreen: :lol: .

Nonetheless, the jump chasm prop is fully functional now. I have started work on the climbable object prop as next step... we will see how it goes ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:41 am

Good progress here... first protoype of the cimbable prop is up and running. It is still buggy though and I also have to do its graphics, but I think it's on a good way.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:34 am

IB Beta v147 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7akap28am67py ... 7.zip?dl=0

- added jumpable chasm prop: just place it into the gap between to higher level squares and it works out; comes in vertical and horizontal orientation
- added climbale wall prop: just place it on the heigher of two neighbouring squares and it works as a climb in both directions; comes in four orientations (north, east, south and west)
- both new props work (hopefully) intuitively for the player - he just walks into/onto them
- as with the other interactive props these new props will automatically appear in the blueprints of your existing module; you can freely configure traits/skills used and required DC
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Next up for me are pushable objects. This will likely the biggest challenge with interactive props yet. As there is no pull functionality, I think I will allow only predefined squares where a pushable object can be moved to. I might use a trigger for this actually (then work in toolset will be easier).

Ideally a pressure plate mechanism accompanying it might be nice.

While at it, a simple bump into lever would really fit as well.

All of this stuff combined might allow for logic riddles directly placed on the main map.

Putting my thinking cap on here :lol: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:59 pm

Having props already setup for climbing and jumping will be great for builders to quickly add these new features. Looking forward to seeing how the push/pull prop functionality works out. Should make for some fun riddles, puzzels, lock picking test, etc.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 am

Yep, some spatial/combinatory riddle options on main map would be really cool. I researched Sokoban a bit in this regard. IB basically would be a perfect fit for a Sokoban style subsystem due to its top down, grid based and four move directions nature.

Sokoban is push only (no pull) and we need specific squares marking the desired end positions.

Sokoban also is try and error to some degree (well for me at least :lol: ), so we would need a sleek reset objects of a puzzle option in IB, too. Might eg be a usable item, hmmmm... Good times here while thinking about game design :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:54 am

I think moveable objects will rest on a multisquare trigger that marks the squares they can be pushed to. This eglibile zone will be shown to the player, too (maybe some outline along its borders, pending).

A hotkey (maybe r for reset or g for grid) will reset all moveable objects of the trigger that the party stands on to their starting positions. It will also teleport the party to the default starting square.

New properties:

1. Trigger
Bool isGridForPushableObject = false;
Bool showPushableGridOutline = true;
Bool pushableGridCanBeResetViaHotkey = true;
Bool pushableGridCanBeResetEvenAfterCompletion = false;
Int partyDefaultPushableGridPositionX = 0;
Int partyDefaultPushableGridPositionY = 0;
Bool allPushableGridTargetPositionsAreShared = true;
String keyOfGlobalIntToChangeUponPushableGridCompletion = "none";
Int valueOfGlobalIntToChangeUponPushableGridCompletion = "0";
String keyOfGlobalIntToChangeUponPushableGridFailure = "none";
Int valueOfGlobalIntToChangeUponPushableGridFailure = "0";

2. Prop
//note: to spare myself some coding effort, additionally a gaPushObject script will need to be attached, too. As we need many parameters, these parms will not be in the script section of the prop, but will be direct properties of the prop, see below

Bool isPushable = false;
String pushableGridTriggerTag = "none";
Int pushableStartPositionX = 0;
Int pushableStartPositionY =0;
Int pushableTargetPositionX = 0;
Int pushableTargetPositionY =0;
string pushableTraitTag = "strongman";
int pushableDC = 10;

This *should* be all properties needed. I think I will add to doors and chests to (optinally) open automatically if a defined global int reaches a given value. This way our little push riddles can directly open doors and chests, tying them into the flow of an area with ease.

I likely will need some saftey catch mechanism for moving props when those are on the starting positions of pushable props and the field is reset. Either block the reset in this case or auto move the moving props to neighbouring squares...

Note that bool allPushableGridTargetPositionsAreShared is a mighty property - when true it is a Sokoban like situation. When false, you require each pushable to go its own specific end position. This can be used for other types of puzzles, like using smybols on the props as well as on the end positions and the player must match all symbols correctly (by figuring out what matching symbols have in common). Fun stuff :) .

Maybe I should add a global int and its vlaue affected in case of a mismatch between prop and end position (ie if a prop is moved onto the position reserved for another prop). This could then be scripted to do party damage or release attacking creatures :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Done with above. Now, for the coding part, gulp...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:56 am

It might be easier for me to move all properties noted above for trigger into props, too. Otherwise the toolset ui adjustments for triggers would cause me a lot of extra work.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:33 pm

This sounds really exciting... Crossing my fingers it all works out without too much frustration on the coding side :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions