Graphics for fog of war?

Ask any questions that come up while using the PC or Android IceBlink 2 Engine

Graphics for fog of war?

Postby zach_holbrook » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Happy New Year! I promise an update soon. Is there an image file or set of files for fog of war in the default graphics or ui folder? Thanks!
zach_holbrook

Re: Graphics for fog of war?

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Hey Zach, great to read you :).

The graphic used for fog of war is somewhat hidden and badly named (by silly me), you find it under Default/New Module/ui. The name is offScreenBlack.png.

You can overrde its usage by placing a file of the same name (offScreenBlak.png) inside your own module's ui folder.

You can also customize the opacity degree for fog of war under module properties in the toolset - look for fogOfWarOpacity property.

The fog of war interacts with the dark&light system, it might look strange when using something else than black for fog of war, but I have not experimented with this so far. Same goes for the way the fog of war fades out slowly - I did only test it with a black fog of war.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:52 pm

[quote="youngneil1"
The fog of war interacts with the dark&light system, it might look strange when using something else than black for fog of war, but I have not experimented with this so far. Same goes for the way the fog of war fades out slowly - I did only test it with a black fog of war.[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking that black might be the only one that really works because of this interaction. But I'm going to run some experiments.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am

Please let me know how it works out - if it doesn't work well, I will try to adjust the engine to what you are up to. Best explain to me in detail then which effect you go for and I will see what I can do :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Before I had black squares at opacity .4 that worked quite well -- I just wanted to see if I could tweak them to make an effect that interacted more with my new colors. Eventually I found a very very dark blue (basically a bluish black) that was about as dark as my night graphics if I set the fog to opacity .5 and brightened night a bit. So all's well! The change is very subtle.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 pm

That sounds really neat - I am looking forward to see it in action later on :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to Questions and Answers