Grahir - The Beginnings

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

Re: Grahir - The Beginnings

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am

So, more thought (see my post on the page before):

What I forgot to factor in, is the limited screen estate and no scroll of the smartphone screen. It will be diffcult to plan your route through a maze bigger than the screen this way, hehe.

Alright, concept modification. There are two phases:
(1) overview: In this phase the party icon is an eye symbol and can move freely around the map, it's not affected by any squares. Look around as you like. Once you move the eye on the top right square of the maye (mayhaps with a closed eye symbol always on it), you will leave overview phase and enter
(2) move pick: The party icon becomes the metal block with vertical bars sysmbol described beforehand and now you start to truely move and build up pressure. All obstacles block now, all squares take effect.

The nice thing here is that the "master lock" memory effect is partially in place here, too. You will have to remember the key features of the maze outside the current screen in order to chart your course right. This will be tricky and fun (or so I hope).

Depending on lock pick skill level I think it might be nice to grant addtional overview phases, like every ten turns or so. Btw. waiting in the maze will increase pressure too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:50 pm

I think I will do the first locks all by hand for starters and if that works out and is fun, the next step would be figuring out some sophisticated :lol: lock construction algorithm.

Besides, I also find it tempting to think about some minigame with moving props, mayhaps something for ritual mgic ouside combat, mmmhh :twisted: ... Might be used for identifying items, lifting curses from items, performing quest driven feats of magic...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Nasty, nasty, nasty :mrgreen: :
Attachments
1426610745483.png
1426610745483.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
1426610745711.png
1426610745711.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
1426610745853.png
1426610745853.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 3273 times
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:45 am

Looks interesting and will be fun to see what you are able to come up with to bend the engine to your will :twisted:

Although I'm not a big fan of mini-games, The stuff you have come up with has been fun and fits the adventure.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:45 am

Been a slow weekend, much RL stuff (having moved to a new lovely home still has us running like crazy, but it gets better each week). Started working on a dungeon that has a "broken" design, lots of cave ins and vertical layer changes required to progress. Climbing, diving, possible structural changes due to cave ins or the player breaking down a loose wall, position teleport when in contact with strong underground rivers... a cavernous labyrinth, will see how it works out ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Oh, the broken design sounds awesome...loved the severed hand maps in iwd.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Just watched cold night turn into wonderful sunrise into icy clear day, all over the Cormondorian Mountains in far northern Grahir... oh the joy of this :D !

A little symbol next to the displayed time of day, like a rising sun (yellow shade), high sun, sinking sun (orange), moon & stars... might add even more to the effect, but that's just cosmetic. Btw. I watched all this glory using Arc Welder on the PC screen, talking about serious progress here :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:09 am

Sounds wonderful, keep us posted on any progress...looking forward to seeing some new modules coming out for us to play.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

This morning I brainstormed (and sketched) a little concerning the implementation of a city with time driven inhabitans and to how approach the structural layout best:

I started with a tile based approach, but found that the city would soon lack the diversity I would like to aim for (assuming that as of yet the number of all tiles in the game is roughly limited to 16x16, i.e. 256 tiles before memory becomes an issue). Also, it would require lots of very careful tile cutting to have everything align properly. Furthermore, the scale of the thing will make for a very large map with lots of navigating props. This might cause quite some slow down (don't know actually, mayhaps the CPU just laughs at it and chews it down wihtout blinking :mrgreen: ).

Therefore, I think a bunch of connected 16x16 handdrawn maps will work out better in this scenario. The tiles will be used for the overland world map only. Given the ultra quick loadtimes it will barley break the gameflow that a transition occurs. Navigation memory cost will be a non-issue here (or so I assume). Diversity is basically unlimited. It has one nasty drawback though: Upon switching maps my time driven moving props will snych themselves on a time based approximation. Normally, the player wont notice this. But if he follows directly after a prop that leaves the map, it will feel a little strange that the prop will not directly be in front of him on the new map. Well, I guess that's no biggie though.

The thought of this living place, with people not only walking and working within the city, but actually going to the fields and woods around it, and even between cities, has a deep fascination for me. Hopefully, I will be able to show you something basically working on IBAndroid soon.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:38 am

Addendum: I will likely work with a second john (cloneprop) near the entry point of first john. This should catch all these immediately folloe situations rather nicely. We will see :D ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General Module Discussion