Red Carnival (Android) Feedback

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

Red Carnival (Android) Feedback

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Yeah, I have been able to spend half an hour or so with Red Carnivals's android version (using Blue Stack, an android emulator for pc):) .

First things first: Many, many thanks to Jer for doing the conversion work! Much appreciated :D ! It must have been a hell of work and it really turned out fine so far, yeah!

Blue Stack gets everything up and running (clicking on a square means tabbing it via touch). No crashes or some such so far.

Along comes a list of feedback/bugs - I take it as a small wonder it runs on the small screen at all for it was never designed to do so, so all of below points are just luxury issues:

1) Attack sounds/move sounds/sound effects in general: Blue Stack only plays the music, not any of the sounds, maybe I missed an option or it's a Blue Stack emulation bug?
2) I did not find the Flee from combat/run option?
3) Music was turned off by default? Maybe that's a convention for android? Also no sound at all (e.g. wind)?
4) No option for music volume? The mobile allows to easily adjust sound though.
5) Only 4 inventory slots?
6) Switch weapons/equipment in combat?
7) Item description when choosing equipment would be fine?
8) Attack: green line shown even with melee weapon and target more than one square away?
9) Access character info in combat screen?
10) Show remaining moves in combat?
11) Most customized Red Carnival scripts inactive (for combat system, special traits, etc,) - no problem as the mobile version is by intend a simplified one and, well, my scripts are quite chaotic, hehe :) .
12) Attack command not triggered by moving into nearby opponent?
13) EXP scale for level up modified?
14) Teleport event not triggered when leaving the Broken Antler clearing just the way the hero appeared (to the east)

That looks like a long list, but it's not significant at all. Point is, it runs on mobile, yeah, and it tells the story intended, so big cheers for that :D !

I very much liked the ease of handling and also all the help screens with system and gameplay info added, excellent stuff! Also the new item graphics/reworked backgrounds and sprites as well as the inventory system play out in a very cool way!!

My focus will remain on the PC version, but it's excellent to know that conversion is possible and I will try to design with mobile in the back of my head. I also guess with some time we will be able to get some of the more complex features / custom scripts into mobile, too ;). As my future work will - hopefully - rely on PLW (moving NPC with schedules, day & night, passing of time over seasons and years, and much more actually) I especially hope to get these custom scripts up and running for mobile, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Re: Red Carnival (Android) Feedback

Postby slowdive » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks Karl! Conversion only took a few days since the artwork takes the most time and yours was already done by you before.

First, the android (mobile) version of IB is intended to be VERY simple and different from the PC version. I wasn't trying to replicate the PC version as we already have that option. This is meant to be a basic version that allows for even faster building, less complicated systems, more robust and less buggy, etc.

youngneil1 wrote:1) Attack sounds/move sounds/sound effects in general: Blue Stack only plays the music, not any of the sounds, maybe I missed an option or it's a Blue Stack emulation bug?

There are no sound effects or background sounds, only music so far.

youngneil1 wrote:2) I did not find the Flee from combat/run option?

there is no fleeing from combat

youngneil1 wrote:3) Music was turned off by default? Maybe that's a convention for android? Also no sound at all (e.g. wind)?

I have it turned off by default because you may not be in a place where you want music playing on your phone. I'll be adding a very small and semi-transparent toggle button in the top right corner of maps for quickly turning on/off music and other things.

youngneil1 wrote:4) No option for music volume? The mobile allows to easily adjust sound though.

figured people would use there phone/tablets volume buttons

youngneil1 wrote:5) Only 4 inventory slots?

4 for now, will be adding one more.

youngneil1 wrote:6) Switch weapons/equipment in combat?

will make this more limited. Making similar changes to PC version as well.

youngneil1 wrote:7) Item description when choosing equipment would be fine?

Not really possible with the pop-up windows. Would have to create custom screens for all the pop-up type events which is really a ton of work behind the scenes. For now, once the item is equipped, there will be an option to see the description on screen or when tap on item, the options will be equip, unequip, view description.

youngneil1 wrote:8) Attack: green line shown even with melee weapon and target more than one square away?

I guess I could do a check and turn off LoS line for one square away

youngneil1 wrote:9) Access character info in combat screen?

I'll need to look into this.

youngneil1 wrote:10) Show remaining moves in combat?

everyone moves only one square
youngneil1 wrote:11) Most customized Red Carnival scripts inactive (for combat system, special traits, etc,) - no problem as the mobile version is by intend a simplified one and, well, my scripts are quite chaotic, hehe :) .

no scripts are allowed with android so all code must be part of the program. I very much simplified the combat system and it is the same for all modules.

youngneil1 wrote:12) Attack command not triggered by moving into nearby opponent?

I have thought about this, but haven't implemented it yet.

youngneil1 wrote:13) EXP scale for level up modified?

knocked off a zero

youngneil1 wrote:14) Teleport event not triggered when leaving the Broken Antler clearing just the way the hero appeared (to the east)

I didn't add that one event trigger.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:35 am

It makes perfect sense to have the mobile version much more simplified :) . Great to hear that conversion itself can be done in a reasonable amount of time - makes me feel less guilty (well, a little) ;) .

There are no sound effects or background sounds, only music so far.

Is there a programming or hardware reason for this? These effects add quite a lot to the atmosphere (foot steps, attack sounds, spell sounds like explosions or some jingling, ambience noise like wind or rain or birds...) Would be a shame to have none of them in future mobile releases.Then again, it's not the end of the world to miss out on them.

there is no fleeing from combat

This might make some exploration, open world designs a little tricky. I think we would need a script triggered pre-encounter screen then giving the player some hint on the potential strength of the opponent and asking him whether he wants to join the battle. Otherwise, placing high level monsters in lwo level areas will be too frustrating (and I like such intermixed design, requiring returns to old areas and allowing some serious revenge butt kicking on formerly too dangerous monsters :lol: ).

I have it turned off by default because you may not be in a place where you want music playing on your phone. I'll be adding a very small and semi-transparent toggle button in the top right corner of maps for quickly turning on/off music and other things.

Excellent, sounds like a perfect solution!

figured people would use there phone/tablets volume buttons

Yep, you're right.

4 for now, will be adding one more.

Nice, one more slot will not hurt at all :-). Having a different default number of slots than IB on PC might make some future conversions a bit more complicated. Then again, mobile screen real estate is limited so I see the rationale behind this.

Not really possible with the pop-up windows. Would have to create custom screens for all the pop-up type events which is really a ton of work behind the scenes. For now, once the item is equipped, there will be an option to see the description on screen or when tap on item, the options will be equip, unequip, view description.

I see, dont worry too much about this. People can figure out the item stats just fine in the way you described it.

I guess I could do a check and turn off LoS line for one square away

Great!

Character info on combat screen: I'll need to look into this.

Nice, again it's not that important. Spell and trait descriptions will come handy in combat (cannot check whether they are accessible already anyway).

everyone moves only one square

Oopps, my bad. My playtime was too short and hasty. Again, this design difference will make the conversions a little more tricky. Smaller battlefield makes quite some sense on mobile though and with this goes some more limited movement. In the end I guess it's a fine solution :) .

no scripts are allowed with android so all code must be part of the program. I very much simplified the combat system and it is the same for all modules.

I see. More power to open source, hehe :-). Seriously, I think this spares you a debugging nightmare. It's a good thing.

Attack by moving into oppoennt: I have thought about this, but haven't implemented it yet.

Might be quite convenient for the player. I tried by based on intuition alone.

knocked off a zero

That zero wasn't needed anyway. Jsut make sure it's knocked away for all exp rewards, too, hehe.

I didn't add that one event trigger.

It's not a really imporant one, just one of the random things I noticed.

___

All in all, the mobile version is - rightfully - a quite different beast than the pc version. I will turn my all watching eye on the pc version for now, for that that is where my heart is ;). But once a new adventure/campaign is done, I also look forward to conversion again! Feels migthy fine to reach such an extended user base (or even earn money, harf!). I will make sure (was gonna do anyway) that story remains the main adventure focus. This aspect will carry over just fine to mobile in any case :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby kamal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 am

Red Carnival is my favorite of the modules for Android. I enjoyed using the map for vertical exploration in addition to the normal horizontal. I also enjoyed the non rpg-typical races, naming etc.

There were two or three typos, sorry I don't remember them.
I think the barbarian guy should regenerate when the player makes a move while not in combat. He regenerates in combat, so no regenerating out of it seemed odd. Not really a balance issue since the player does have free rest at the inn.
Rangers, who can use both melee and ranged weapons, get the "-4 to ranged attack due to range" message when melee attacking. I didn't see the point of that since the ranger had his melee weapon equipped.
kamal
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 am

Ah, nice one. I'll have to fix that ranger melee issue.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am

Many thanks for the feedback, kamal :D ! Much appreciated, yeah! It's very rewarding as author (of the PC version, Jer did all the Andrpid conversion and additional goodies for it) to get feedback, especially good and also constructive feedback, yamm :) .

Typos I did likely quite a few - non-native speaker and strange clumsy fingers are bound to result in creative spelling :lol: .

You're right about the barbarians regneration ability. I think I designed that in a time where the party was healed after every combat - a system I discarded later on. The delta is the odd feeling state of barbarian regeneration.

@Jer: Good to see you're at it concerning the Ranger :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby joshua » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Just finished my first play through of Red Carnival on Android. Brilliant! I've already said a dozen breathless things about all the other modules I've played but Red Carnival is a coherent masterpiece. I instantly loved the art and as I played I realized how perfectly the artistic style complimented the writing and theme. The frantic and moody lines are truly carnivalesque (What do you mean that's not a word, chrome!?).

The simple perspective changes at certain locations blew my mind. I enjoyed playing the game and found myself more inspired than before to get in on the fun. I see a ton of potential for more amazing Android games to come out of this.
joshua

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 am

Most welcome feedback, joshua, greatly appreciated :) ! It makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside that you enjoyed the adventure - most inspiring to carry on, yeah :). Especially relieved that the art did not turn you off as this is (besides singing and guitar playing, brrrrr :lol: ) the part that I have been most concerned about.

The very, very cool thing about IB are the freedom and the speed of design. Freedom and speed combined allow to do crazy stuff and to dare out of the box scenes (like the perspective change). At times an adventure could (for me ideally) feel like a playable sketch book that is rough, but also wild and full of surprises. Whether or not such style clicks depends largely on the fantasy of the player - like reading a book.

Next iteration (for pc at least) will see text additional adventure elements and quite a breathing world with moving NPC follwing their daily routines. That's the part I would really like to take off the ground - a more non-linear feeling of a world full of opportunities that feels like a place truely existing somehwere else and independent of the player.

Oh, and extra points for "canivalesque", like that one 8-) !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 am

What I failed to express here so far: So COOL combat animations of all those sprites :D ! Must have been quite some work to get those in, so many thanks again to Jer for that. Really looks lovely and adds a lot of atmosphere :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:08 pm

The app brain website has some nice reviews from users concerning the IB series. This one from just a few days ago I found very inspiring (not only for RC development, but for IB as awhole), so sharing the good stuff here :D :

Iceblink Extravaganza The bold and lurid map of Broken Antler, the evocative and original setting, with its history and completely unique creatures... This module clinches my belief that IceBlink can start an old-school revolution on the Android platform. It democratizes the RPG industry so that anyone with a vision can start making games and distributing them to a wide audience. Red Carnival starts to really show us how easy it is to create and share visual art, music, writing and gaming.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to General Module Discussion