Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby slowdive » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:47 am

Pongo wrote:With v21, I can create a new module but when I try to change the name from "newModule" to something more exciting it crashes and kicks me out. There doesn't seem to be a bug report file, but I clicked the "send feedback" option when it crashed so hopefully you'll get something sent to you.

The module I had already started working on still works ok though. I'm swapping the tiles around at the minute.

It is definitely an android thing. Two of my devices have no issues, but one of them has a "Next" button that shows up in the middle right of the text entry box. If I tap that button, the app crashes. If I tap out side of the text box or use the hardware back button, it goes back to the screen with the entry and the "OK" and "cancel" buttons with no keyboard.

Do you have a "Next" button showing up as well? I think that is trying to go to another entry field which there isn't one. I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet...still researching.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pongo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:46 am

When I click on "Module Name" I get the text box with the keyboard and just one option - "done". I change the title from newModule to anything else and click "done". Then the app freezes up and ultimately boots me out, with an option to send a feedback report (which I've been clicking). I don't see a "next" option.

Edit: If I enter the new module's name and then click my phone's back button it closes the keyboard and takes me to the "ok" or "cancel" option. Clicking "ok" saves the module name and doesn't crash. It sounds like my problem is basically the same one you described except my buttons are labelled differently.

For what it's worth, I've been using the same Android phone for the last year. I didn't have this problem previously, although it has probably been a couple of updates since I tried to create a new module.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:55 pm

I think we are having the same problem with different button labels like you mentioned. I recently updated to the newest Xamarin.Forms and that must have changed the way cross platform text box works in Android. No issues in iOS. I'll need to research more and do some trail and error to figure this one out.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 am

I'm starting to work on the IBbasic tutorial videos (posted the first one to the IceBlink Engine YouTube page) and playing through Hearkenwold some more (and will be eating lots of food for USA Thanksgiving holiday :lol: )
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pongo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:46 am

Enjoy your Thanksgiving! :)

The videos are a good idea - I'll have a look when I can. IBBasic is already very intuitive and easy to understand fortunately! One thing I have noticed though is that there are a few scripts where the script parameter options aren't clear. Eg, I was adding to a convo the script for turning off a trigger and removing a sprite - after using the desktop version it was fairly clear to me that the first entry would be the trigger tag and the second entry would be "false", but you wouldn't know that as a newby. I see you've set it up so that many of the other triggers actually advise you about the script parameter options, which is massively helpful.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Happy Anniversary to the IceBlink engine! Using the November 25 date of these forums to mark the calendar.

So many developments over the past six years. It's been the best toolset I've worked with. Thanks to all the contributors, especially on the technical side of things.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 am

Ah, good catch there Dorateen. Has it really been six years? It has been a great six years with an awesome group of friends and wonderful adventures created...even better years to come I am positive.

The past few days I have been continuing to update the IBbasic graphics catalog. I have decided on a common color palette to use on all the default graphics (custom graphics used in each module's 'graphics' folder are free to use whatever they want of course).

Here is the palette of 30 colors:
00_palette.png
00_palette.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

I also added a tool to the art conversion tool I've used for converting other art to IBbasic format. I added a tool to convert all art to use this common palette (or any palette selected). It works very well. I can easily adjust the palette as I find a need to make adjustments and then run this tool on all the default art work to update all the images to the new palette colors very easily. I also have this palette as one of the palettes in the built-in IBbasic art editor.

I also made a change to the art editor where you now can scroll through a list of images when you are opening an existing image to edit instead of scrolling through a list of text names. Makes it easier to find what you are looking for.

Now, I need to go through each of the converted art and make any additional changes as needed. This will create a consistent look across all the default IBbasic art. The default art will have resolutions and colors reminiscent of old 8-bit games (actually more like 16-bit with the 30 color palette). In the end, I hope that this will achieve two goals: 1 - make consistent looking and charming art, 2 - faster and easier (maybe) creation of custom art for builders.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Uiii, six years already -time flies :lol: . Happy B-Day, IB, and a heartfelt thanks to all of you fine guys sticking around this place for so many years! This palce feels like a second home to me and I always enjoy coming here to see what's going on. A toast to the future and the great times yet to come here :D !

The default color palette looks excellent - it's has a great and charming vibrancy to it :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Nothing too exciting to report, just going through all the default IBbasic artwork and updating them to the new common resolution (they are still 48x48, but are adjusted to new 24x24 based and then scaled up to 48x48) and common palette. It takes lots of time to go through and adjust all the artwork, but it will be worth it in the end :lol: .
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 am

I added a swap color feature to the art editor. It works in the following way:
1-change the currently selected color to what ever color exists in the image that you want to swap (this can be done by using the "eye dropper" button and then tapping on an image pixel).
2-tap on the "swap color" toggle button to turn it on.
3-tap on a color in the color palette to swap the color to.
4-tap on the "swap color" toggle button when done.

It is kind of like how in GIMP you can do a selection by color and then use the bucket fill to fill the selection with the foreground color. The way I am doing it in the IBbasic art editor is faster, but I will need to have the tooltip features in order to explain it well.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions