Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby slowdive » Sun May 19, 2019 1:08 pm

All the additional animation will be great to see in action. I'm guessing that animation for walking will only work if the tokens have multiple frames for walking? Or will it be more like the combat idle animation where the whole token just moves?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am

I am looking forward to the animations, too (still lots of work ahead though). Yes, the animations will require additonal hand drawn frames (both walking animation and idle animation). Therefore,they will be optional. This will not be set per module, but for each prop/party member (default off, maybe even some autodetection based on the graphic files and their naming/size), so modules can have animated walkers/idlers and non-animated walkers/idlers at the same time. This will allow upgrading a module with such animations over time or simply to use them only for very special props/pc or not at all. If all works out :lol: .

The party tail is now better at avoiding collision with landscape and moves more dynamically - looks cool in action (or so I like to think, it moves to a different direction than party itself now when trailing behind it on direction changes). It has some minor glitches still though, but I will stop trying to fix those for now (too many hours poured in fruitlessly in trying to go from 90% to 99%). It is good enough, harf - have to be pragmatic as there are so many other battles to win still left in IB:mrgreen: .

Did I mention we have a run/sprint move on SHIFT key now :) ? Changing speed on the fly (just hold shift down to sprint or release to walk/jog again, can even be done midmovement) feels mighty fine. Also I did polish and bug fix again left and right (lever prop, jump prop, crate prop inetrcations with scrolling system, size of rain drops, etc.).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 pm

IB Beta v159 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/notojljbxmb5o ... 9.zip?dl=0

- SHIFT key as run modifier
- improved scroll behaviour of party tail
- various little fixes and tweaks around movement and scrolling
- larger raindrops
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:28 am

Player walk and idle animation brainstorming:

Maybe allow flexible size of the pc tokens between 100x200, 100x300 or 100x400. Default position is from 100x1 to 100x100, attack animation from 100x101 to 100x200. This is the old set up. Walk animation will be from 100x201 to 100x300 and idle animation from 100x301 to 100x400.

Code could read in pixel height of the token and automatically figure out this way which animations are available for this token.

Frequency of idle could be a module setting (eg if an author uses idle for some breathing it will likely play more often than idles used for sporadic actions, like flex muscles).

Frequency of walking could depend on the movespeed of the party , adjusted on the fly by doScrolling method (so sprinting will move legs faster than slowly walking).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue May 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Using the file dimensions is a great way because it will allow players to use their own tokens without having to modify a flag/property in the module file. I used creature token dimensions to automatically determine a creature's size (normal, wide, tall, large) instead of using a property on the creature object.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:41 am

I try using parts of this code right now :) . In combat at some point I had allowed for a flexible number of animation frames which led to requiring an additional size property. I think later on I removed this option again (only 2 frames), but had the code already based on the new property. Lazy me :lol:
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 am

I have got the first iteration of player walk/run animation and player idle anmiation up and running! Despite me being a lousy artist/animator, this is soooo much fun :D !

It grounds the party in the gameworld instantly, making everything feel more immersive. Scrolling and walk/run animations complement each other very nicely. Really happy here.

Of course, there are new bugs connected with this... smashing time :mrgreen: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:43 am

I have added a breathing animation, too (so it's: default, attack, walk, idle and breathe frames, 100x500 vertical sprite sheet). Currently I am adding this code to the whole party tail, so the player controlls a little ant hive. I think this will look very funny in the end :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 am

Hello! Very excited to try all this stuff out. I can't access the downloads on Dropbox, though -- maybe they've expired?
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:22 am

Hey Zach, the new stuff is great fun in action. I will double check the dropbox later (due to storage restrictions I have do delete many of the files after a while so that usually only a few remain stored there - obviously that should ideally include at least the latest release :oops: ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions