Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby slowdive » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:55 pm

UI ideas sound good to me. We decided to not show the house this weekend so I got the laptop or and setup again. I updated to the latest GitHub version. My daughter started playing the tutorial module after making a character with the new a super cool attribute selection system. Then she promptly died from traps :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Awesome to hear about the testrun from the two of you :) . I fear the tutorial adventure in its current state is more a building test ground for authors than really fun for a player. That will change later, promised :) .

Good progress here with "dynamic mdoe" for the UI. All the various panels try to hide out now until they are needed when they pop in automatcially. Of course, manual calling/hiding still is required from time to time. Pressing F enters the dynamic mode (and at the same time acts as a call full of UI for one turn). When pressing X the static (=normal) UI mode is used (also hiding/calling ui in this static mode).

Time of day is now displayed in top left corner (on the former zoom level button/icon). I am currently adding six different pictures for time of day as changing backgrounds of this button.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am

Completed the new graphics for time of day top left icon. Generally, finished work on dynamic/static ui mode. Fixed a few bugs (successful stealthers on main always catch party flat footed now, highest trait indicator only uses player characters above zero hp, etc).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:52 am

First iteration of a jumpable chasm is ingame :) . There is some debugging (eg party tail behaviour after jump) and some polish (directional graphic indicators) to do, but I am confident that this concept will work out fine in the end. A nice detail is that you can normally walk the ground of a chasm while at the same time you can jump over the very same square if approaching the edge of the chasm from above.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:56 pm

The jump feature and recognizing whether your are in the chasm or above it on the edge sounds great! Does everyone in the party have to pass a check or just the current selected leader?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Does everyone in the party have to pass a check or just the current selected leader?

This can be configured: The pit/chasm prop has a gaJumpChasm.cs call attached, which takes p1 as trait tag for the jump and p2 as dc of the jump. Now, every trait can in turn be configured in the trait editor to work eg via "leader", "highest" (in "lowest" (in party) or "average" (of party). In the turorial adventure the premade chasm prop looks for a trait called athlete, which is configured to check for (current) leader, but this could easily be changed to look for a trait called jump that checks for lowest in party :). The check is a take-ten-check (10+skill value), so the result is always the same. It will be influenced by light conditions as it is harder to jump at the right moment in the dark or to get a firm hold on the opposite side without seeing things clearly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Brilliant! Sounds very flexible.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you, Jer :) . It will need a lot of testing and bug hunting, but it should indeed allow very diverse campaign setups. The combined adjustability of traits as well as props refering freely to them is what creates a lot of opportunities for individual game designs of the authors.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 am

Great stuff. I've been playing around with the settings for manual point distribution in 144, and everything seems to be working. I'm excited about testing out the new balance!

I've run into an issue in battles, one that doesn't crop up in 132 -- clicking on the Traits button there freezes and crashes the game with some of the custom traits I'm using. It doesn't appear to happen with all the traits, but it happens consistently with certain ones. I tried using the same ones in the earlier version without this happening. Maybe has something to do with swift action abilities?
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:13 am

Awesome to hear about your experience with the new attribute points allocation system, Zach :) .

The Trait button crash in combat is hard to debug for me here. It would be great if you could send/upload your module with a save file before an encounter that causes the crash. I could then debug that one in Visual Studio (this unveils the point in code where it crashes and once this point is found, it gets a whole lot easier to fix).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions