Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Thank you doing a testdrive, Zach :) . It's far from finished, just an ever evolving testing ground right now. A party leader with a good lookout skill can unveil the kobolds (they become visible instantly once you make him leader, eventually wait a turn via z/y ) and this way the party can avoid encountering them.

I am doing lots of stuff left and right, eg some small visual improvments to the graphics of the shadows (height system), a second try at the rim lights (highlighted edges where height level differences are, much more subtle now) and more flexibility for the darkness of night time.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Tinkering with an optional way to have a automatically hiding of the whole UI, not only the log. The UI will come into focus again on changing/attempting to change party leader this way for about three seconds and then vanish again. Still a bit experimental, but I would like to have some kind of immersive gamemode which does not require purposefully blending in and out the ui (x key) all the time. I think it's a good sign that I want to such an unobstructed view on the gameworld (or so I like to think :)). Maybe the x key in this mode will be for calling the ui for an unlimited time and on second press of x it will be on the three second timer again. Must play around with this.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Tinkered a bit more with the ui idea. In the end I have done it a bit differently than described above: The ui will fully hide once the party takes a step and will remain hidden. It can be brought back anytime via pressing f/numblock0/insert key. When brought back this way, it will fully hide again on next step. The player can also opt for a constantly shown ui via pressing the x key once - this turns off the automated hiding of the ui on each step. I like the automatic hide ui mode as I only use the f key for selective peaks in certain sitauations and otherwise enjoy the full immersion of the unobstructed screen.

The log follows its own, idependent opcaity rules though (fading out after some time of no info added and no manual scrolling and fading in once new info is gained or the player scrolls it). This way I can have the ui hdden, but still see info in the log pop up (and fade again).

Also, the arrow panel (if toggled on) is not affected by the automatically hiding ui.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:44 pm

IB Beta v138 released - no warranties, no liabilities, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9awjlcu72hmq8 ... 8.zip?dl=0

- just to keep you guys in the loop while I continue the tutorial adventure exercise (and all the related bug fixing and polishing, see the last few posts above)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Little video about the beginning of the tutorial adventure with some explanations (Edit: done :) ):

https://youtu.be/hmL8zgxnvmA
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 am

Currently I am adding the return/enter key functionality to all screens - whenever a button reads "return", a press of the return/enter key will activate that button, too. It's a bit tedious to go through all screens for this, but it has to be done at some point anyway. While at it I am either removing "Exit" buttons (we have the escape key for that or disk meu for go to main menu) or renaming those "exit" buttons to "retrun" buttons if that is whta they really do (go back to previous screen that is). Again, not the most exciting stuff but I just hope that all these needle strokes will add up in the end ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:23 pm

I might make the escape key act like return key, too, unless on main map, in convo or in combat.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Bug observations for later:

- number of light units (torches even?) restored on reload -> this happens after reload, when reigniting or trying to reignite the torch (like come counter needs to be stored in savegame, too)
- party tail blended out by stealthing prop after sneakthrough
- message boxes on big monitor too small, scrolling them not working (resolution related bug likely)
- in combat: height level shadows and creatures/tiles/grid/party in combat not properly aligning (bug only on y axis, height shadows drawn a bit too low, maybe 10% of gv. squaresize) (resolution related bug likely)
- particle effects (eg snow) have to start a bit higher on screen
- ideally particle effects will be independent from party movement (eg no dodging snow by running down)
- traits are assigned to be useable in combat while they are not supposed to be (also spells affected?)
- rework clouds to be less obstructive

Just the tip of the iceberg :roll: :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:23 pm

- traits are assigned to be useable in combat while they are not supposed to be (also spells affected?)

Spend about an hour today staring at the screen in disbelief while trying to figure out this one. Turned out that I stored info in the text files under "usableInSituation" while the engine expected "useableInSituation". Subtle, eh? The consequence was that the serializer could not find data for the field it wanted to fill and relied therefore on the standard value, which is "Always" (instead of the intended "InCombat"). For one whole hour I did not spot the damn e that makes the difference :twisted: :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:34 pm

- number of light units (torches even?) restored on reload -> this happens after reload, when reigniting or trying to reignite the torch (like come counter needs to be stored in savegame, too) [done]
- party tail blended out by stealthing prop after sneakthrough [done]
- traits are assigned to be useable in combat while they are not supposed to be (also spells affected?) [done]

Still to do:
- message boxes on big monitor too small, scrolling them not working (resolution related bug likely)
- in combat: height level shadows and creatures/tiles/grid/party in combat not properly aligning (bug only on y axis, height shadows drawn a bit too low, maybe 10% of gv. squaresize) (resolution related bug likely)
- particle effects (eg snow) have to start a bit higher on screen
- ideally particle effects will be independent from party movement (eg no dodging snow by running down)
- rework clouds to be less obstructive

Slowly working through this list...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions