Tactical Combat

Discuss the IceBlink Engine

Re: Tactical Combat

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 am

Looks like IB is perfectly on track :-) (perhaps minus the determinism part - but with enough combat rounds, e.g. damage/hp ratio not too high, this will even out):

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/CraigSte ... ystems.php
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Lurking Grue » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I wrote a longish reply to Mr. Stern's article (to which Karl linked above), but decided to delete it. This is not the correct forum for that.

I'd just like to comment shortly, that the 12 points (features) he mentions in the article are good, I agree with them, but in the four virtues he mentions determinism. Basically he would like to make CRPG combat a variant of chess (a 100% deterministic system) and claims that it would make CRPG combat systems better. I don't agree with that. At all. (Sure, I can understand his POV, but I don't share it.) Randomization can be used well - it doesn't automatically mean a system is hinging purely on luck and a combat system that is just a whacky dice rolling simulator. With a system which has clearly thought out dice rolls (with the result probabilities taken into account) and a comprehensive selection of situational modifiers etc., you can have a system which has dice rolls (randomization) but rewards good tactics and skilled play. It all depends on rule design and implementation - if they are solid, so's the system. Randomization is not the bugbear Mr. Stern makes it out to be.

OK, I'll leave this at that before I stray into ranting territory (again).
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Lurking Grue wrote:Randomization can be used well - it doesn't automatically mean a system is hinging purely on luck and a combat system that is just a whacky dice rolling simulator.

Yeah, tend to agree with you, expecially the quote above. There is a need for combat to play out with a tactical feel, but the random element (eg, saving throws against spells etc) is an important feature for me. Its that sinking feeling when your carefull timed Charm spell fails, or your archer fails to distract the enemy mage enough to prevent his fireball landing on your head. Or that happy feeling when it goes right! I recently played through Knights of the Chalice for the first time, and that game gets the balance pretty much spot on in my opinion. Every move feels like it achieves something, but its a long way from determinism.

Having said that, its always nice to see a variety in approach, and would be interesting to see a deterministic system in action.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General Engine Discussion