Alignment

Discuss the IceBlink Engine

Alignment

Postby Dorateen » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:52 pm

With the possibilty of including paladins as a class in the core game, and with expanding attributes for conditionals and modifiers, I wonder if it would be a good time to discuss including an alignment field at character creation.

Let me just say, I grew up with alignment in role-playing games, and have no problem grasping the concept as a reflection of a character's world-view, philosophy and behavior. It's another way to define a character, which as an author, is helpful in tailoring specific events or conversation responses. What I'm not a big fan of is arbitrary alignment shifts. Because then that could get into a matter of interpretation and the builder's views and the player's views might conflict. However, I would expect someone who chooses to play a lawful character at generation will act accordingly, and so on for chaotics and neutrals, etc.

Now for the purposes of IceBlink, it could be a simple matter of allowing players the option to choose an alignment of Good, Neutral, or Evil. Or expand into the law-chaoas axis as well, which actually created 9 different alignments.

Not to add more tasks for the development of the engine, but I wanted to throw this out there, since I saw alignment selection as something missing from character creation.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Re: Alignment

Postby slowdive » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 pm

I feel the exact same way as you do about alignments. I don't like to babysit players by using alignment shifts. I can easily add an alignment property to PCs and creatures. Then module authors can decide how to use them or shift them if they want.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 am

Okay, I added the code for Alignments (9 of them). There is a bool (true/false) setting in your module's properties (under menu item "Edit/Module Properties" in toolset) for turning on/off Alignment usage for your module. If you set this to false, there will be no comboBox selection for alignment in the character creation screen. Module authors that use alignment can add the description to your dsCharacterSheetData.cs (I'll add it to the default, but comment it out so just uncomment it if you want to show it). I'll also add a gcCheckAlignment.cs script for use in conversations, triggers, etc.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm

That's awesome! I used the check alignment often in party chat conversations, it's great to be able to continue to do so.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Return to General Engine Discussion