Of Books, Maps and Holocubes

Discuss the IceBlink Engine

Of Books, Maps and Holocubes

Postby Lurking Grue » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

What I'd like the engine to be able to do, would be an ability to show an image (jpg or png) when a certain item, such as a map or a book, is used. This image, shown in a pop-up window, would not have to be constrained to just maps (be they regional maps, treasure maps, maps of guard positions, etc.) and books (and scrolls and letters, etc.), it could be all kinds of things that would give information to the player, e.g. a photograph of something/someone important in a modern day game, a close-up image of an amulet with a cryptic inscription engraved on it in unknown runes in a fantasy game, a fragment of a torn up and blood-stained letter, etc.

In addition to the ability to show images when an item is used, there could also be a possibility of lauching a dialogue window when an item is used. This could represent using a personal computer (access its database and analyze information with it, etc.), reading a mysterious Precursor holocube (getting information and images when "queried" the right way), or just reading a pain old book with many different passages represented by the different "dialogue" options. The dialogue engine is a powerful tool and harnessing it this way (to item usage), would greatly enhance what kinds of modules could be made with IB.

Note that these "dialogue calls" wouldn't do anything more fancy than launch a dialogue window when "fired" (item is used), but from there the options range far and wide. The "dialogue" would be used as options to item usage, be they different ways to use it, or different ways to examine it, or whatever. Consider, for example, a Star Trek-styled game, where one of the PCs (the science dude) has a tricorder (a super-science sensor device) in his inventory. The dialogue engine could handle all the functions of the tricorder when it is used, making it more versatile than a simple USE command could do (if so wanted by the author, of course), like giving the player "dialogue" options such as: 1. Scan for radiation, 2. Scan for life forms, 3. Scan for energy signatures, or so on and so forth. Or perhaps a fantasy game, where there's a talisman which has a rotating disc with runes set on it. This disc could be rotated to different positions, and the dialogue engine would handle this; it could give options like: 1. turn BE rune to top, 2. turn BOP rune to top, 3. turn A rune to top, 4. turn LULA rune to top. Then a variable would be set in the engine according to how the talisman is configured and it would have some effect in the game world when queried, etc.

How about this? Any chance of getting this in? If the dialogue call is too much trouble, at least the image pop-up would be nice to have. That can't be too hard to squeeze in, now can it? (Says a man who knows nothing of coding.) ;)
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Re: Of Books, Maps and Holocubes

Postby slowdive » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Both will be in and should be very easy to implement...also, if the windows we create don't work for a certain situation, a custom UI can be done through scripting...like my riddle UI I used in the last build.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 pm

BEBOPALULA - I win! :-) Excellent ideas, loving such adventure elements in rpg.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Lurking Grue » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

slowdive wrote:Both will be in and should be very easy to implement...also, if the windows we create don't work for a certain situation, a custom UI can be done through scripting...like my riddle UI I used in the last build.

Splendid! Very good news!

youngneil1 wrote:BEBOPALULA - I win!

The Talisman of St. Vincent starts to glow with blue light. Then, miraculously, rhythmic music starts to play around you and everyone stops to listen. After a moment everyone starts to dance - even the orcs who were attacking you.
8-)
youngneil1 wrote:Excellent ideas, loving such adventure elements in rpg.

With my long history with adventure games, I plan on using lots of adventure game elements in my modules. As much as I can manage without straying too far from the path of dungeon crawling and butt-kicking for great justice and all that. Maybe not so much on the first introductory module, but certainly after that (on the first "serious" module).
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Return to General Engine Discussion