Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:29 am

I finished adding ui images to all buttons on all toolset screens (no more place holder text on buttons). I still will need to have the "help" button pop up an image with descriptions of what each button is and does (most are self explanatory, but some are not).
IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_26_58 PM.png
IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_26_58 PM.png (101.87 KiB) Viewed 507 times

IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_27_35 PM.png
IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_27_35 PM.png (58.9 KiB) Viewed 507 times

IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_28_48 PM.png
IceBlink 2 8_10_2018 10_28_48 PM.png (153.17 KiB) Viewed 507 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:01 am

Made quite a few polish updates and bug fixes today. Slowly working my way through the check list in preparation for the first beta release. I'll probably make one more alpha release posted here on the forums with the Android and PC versions. After that has been tested a bit, I'll start preparing for a beta release on Google Play (Beta Program), the App Store (TestFlight), and on The Vault (for PC).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 am

That sounds like a fine battle plan. The new icons look very crisp and polished - looking forward to next alpha :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Worked a bit on some graphics for the raventhal (roots overlay on 3d).

I started trying to think about how to handle community made modules in IBbasic app. The easy way would be to include them as embedded assets in the app itself. This would make updating modules easy, but would require users to update the app each time. Ideally, it would be cool to have some kind of "store" where builders can upload/update their modules and players can download/update. Not sure how to do that or what it would look like.

Any thoughts?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I fear that I have not the neccessary knowledge to be helpful in deciding this.

One thing that came to mind is that the app would grow quite large over time if every module would be part of it (that is - and this what we should hope for - if many modules are build over the years to come). Maybe the size would not be a problem, in worst case in would affect consumed runtime memory though (and not just storage space).

Another question would be that of content responsibility. If the adventures are part of the app and the app is uploaded by Bree Arts, then Bree Art might be held responsible for potentially offensive content (youth protection, mature content like sexual themes or extreme violence, political content smuggeld in, discriminating stuff, etc). IP infringements by authors (art, story) would be another topic here.

Making authors the uploaders (and making every adventure a separate, self contained app) would create probelms of its own, too, though. Authors would likely somehow have to register with google play store, iTunes, etc. This might require payments and funding of companies to minimize liability risks. On the other hand authors could then opt to sell their adventures.

Might be maybe best to eg take a look RPG maker series and see how they do it.

All just food for thought :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Those are all great points Karl. I think for now I will just include modules embedded in the app itself (at least for IB team mods) as this will be the easiest way for me and players alike to keep them updated. Each module is relatively small (Raventhal is 1 MB and TES is 3 MB).

I have the first Beta ready for testing. It hasn't been thoroughly tested yet so expect some bugs, probably some crashes too so save often.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cejxw7cnhgj2 ... 4.zip?dl=0

If you previously installed IBbasic on an Android device and copied The Raventhal and/or The Elderin Stone on your device, delete them...the folders from the 'modules' folder and any save games from the 'saves' folder. I changed the why those modules work and they are now embedded in the app itself. Plus the previous save games may not work in this current version so make sure to delete them (this save game issue applies to the PC version as well).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:31 am

Found a bug in the Android and iOS apps. When trying to load an image in the toolset for editing (art editor), all images from any embedded module are in the dropdown list and not just the ones for the current module. Fixed this and will post a new build tomorrow. Also had a similar issue in triggers when try to select a conversation, encounter, or area from the dropdown menu having a blank list. Fixed as well.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:08 am

Here is an updated IBbasic (v5) with a few bug fixes for Android and iOS apps (file handling stuff). Again, make sure and delete The Raventhal and The Elderin Stone folders from your 'modules' directory on your Android device if they exist. Those modules are now embedded inside the app itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aapwztgsvp2eh ... 5.zip?dl=0
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Zanicus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I keep getting an unpacking error when trying to install the apk for some reason, it didn't happen with v3 or earlier tho
Zanicus

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Zanicus wrote:I keep getting an unpacking error when trying to install the apk for some reason, it didn't happen with v3 or earlier tho

I tested it and indeed it fails to install. I think I may have messed up the release build process in Xamarin. I think I did it right this time (try this link):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xfu1pq871a6k ... b.zip?dl=0

I think I needed to do a "release" build first and then do the archive function (it is all a different process than what I did with Android Studio and I should make myself step-by-step instructions so that I get it right each time). Please, let me know if this one works. The next build will hopefully be on the Google Play store using the built in Beta Tester program.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions