Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:24 am

Proudly declaring my party as the new Campions of the Pit :D !

Phew, that was a string of tough battles - awesome balance and variety of opponents, it was real fun. Cockatrices and the Pegasi gave me a hard time especially. Also, the 30+ casters battle with all the crowd control going on was really interesting.

Most pc are level 7 now (a few 6) - feels rewarding to see the party grow in power and options.

Hearkenwold is really an amazing game - it is the masterful continuation of the gold box series into our days. It also shows the joy the whole IB Project can bring and that we are on a very promising road here. The future is bright :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Hey, youngneil1, congratulations on clearing The Pit. It was intended to challenge powerful parties, well done!

I wasn't sure, but are you running the module in the latest build of the engine? If so, do you find it better to navigate with the map coordinates displayed? I have not upgraded yet, but will soon.

In the meantime, Hearkenwold continues to expand the adventure possibilities:

August Update .

I started on the next level of the Halls of Hamhock. This area features a narrow bridge spanning a chasm.

There is also a library location here. In the Hamhock Library, dwarves are allowed to bring their own beer.

Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm

That bridge looks impressive for sure - wonder what lurks in the deep dark below :twisted: .

Yes, I am using v120 (current up to date beta) for my playthrough. Works great :) . The coordinates help for taking notes, though I am often cramped in a subway when coding/playing and this makes taking notes a bit of hassle. In the long run we might have an ingame journal entry for own notes and maybe even custom markers on the maps themselves (placed by players, with short customizable hover over text, different colors available). The complex coordinate system can help orienting, too, but it obviously requires the world to be set up to make use of it.

Ha, that's a library fitting my style :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Great progress with the Hearkenwold campaign here - I actually resolved the Skardale story line (epic!) and returned to Castle Hearkenwold. There I was told that I have reached the current end of the main quest. Right now, I am tying lose ends - eg I missed most of Castle Relmfur and am exploring that one thoroughly right now. It's really an awesome experience - I will leave you more detailed feedback in spoiler notation later on once I am done tying up the lose ends I could find.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:51 am

While tying ends a few little bug reports:

- Emerald ring found in dungeon below Relmfur, guarded by green abomination, is accidentally class armor (not class ring)
- dialogue with jugglers in this dungeon reads „gaurds“ instead of „guards“
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you for the bug report. I will fix both those, and should have an updated module by September using build 120, which introduces the map coordinates as well.

I'm interested to hear how you ended up resolving Skardale!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pm

SPOILERS in this post!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Alright, here we go - did I mention the spoilers :lol: :

At first, great applause and bravo from me for the amazing Hearkenwold campaign (my adventures already wait right in front of the gates of the Halls of Hammock) :D ! Many thanks, Dorateen, for the great time in Hearkenwold.

My party finished the adventure with 8247 exp, all being levle 7 and my thief level 8.

Skardale is sooo big and complex, it's a mini campaign of its own. In the end I sided with the Viceroy, but did kill the Vampire Lord. We freed the prisoners and held the tower valiantly, all the way up to the high point of the mage guild leader using himself as living fireball. This was a very mighty and epic scene, perfectly staged.

I think my order of things was very unconventional though - I had played through the whole Skardale arc (city sealed off), before meeting the duke of Relmfur for the first time. For whatever reason I had quickly found the side exit of Castle Relmfur and went directly to Skardale, without further exploring the Castle itself. I did this as very last part of my Adventure.

Also, I killed Wrathhack before even speaking eith the Duke.

The consequence of this was the the Duke's dialogue was a bit lagging behind events. I could eg ask him for permisson for seizing Wrathhack (which was dead by that time) and he warned me of Skardale rebellion brewing (city was sealed off at that time, rebellion having turned to war already).

I never was abducted/disarmed and brought to Asherim(?). I do not know how I skipped this (or if it even is still part of the campaign).

I could not use the portal in the Standing Tower in the middle of the labyrinth (blue portal, requiring ritual).

There's more to tell and praise, but my train is arriving… later :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Hey, youngneil1, that is great, and I appreciate all the wonderful feedback. I don't mind events getting a bit mixed up, it is the price of having the adventure play out so openly. Indeed, there is another way to get to Skardale even earlier, from Hamhock, skipping entire sections of maps. As I was putting the adventure together, I realized it would be conceivable for players to break the order of the Main Quest narrative, but I would rather let players experience their own story.

Some spoiler-ish comments below:

(Highlight to read)

The idea about getting the Duke's permission to go after Wrathack is a bit of a red herring. As you saw, it is perfectly possible to enter Skardale on your own, find and confront Wrathack. I don't think the Duke really cares. If you had the conversation with him earlier, he just wants to use your mission of justice as an excuse to go after the Viceroy in return.

Asherim is still there. Once you kill the slavers in Khyn, you will meet a guy with an Eyepatch when you exit the city... but he is on the outdoor map just below where you first enter the city. In fact, there are two transitions into and out of Khyn, so it can be a little deceptive. I just ran through with a new game right now, and he shows up. It is a matter of stepping on the right square. And after that, it opens up the abduction sequence that happens on a different map, south of Khyn.

The portal requires a ritual scroll that can be found on a wooden table in the room. One of the squares will allow you to interact with the table. Again, I'm afraid it is a matter of stepping on the right tile.

Thanks again for your in depth playthrough! As you can see, I have attempted to set the stage for something much grander. One of the reasons I am building the Hamhock side-adventure right now, is to take a break from the larger conflict looming in the background. That will take some time to develop.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 am

Thank you for the heads up on the portal in the tower and Asherim :) . I cleared the tower and now traverse the hot and cruel desert lands. The singer Dralkin has a little typo in his dialogue, saying „trasport“ instead of „transport“.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm

youngneil1 wrote: I cleared the tower and now traverse the hot and cruel desert lands. The singer Dralkin has a little typo in his dialogue, saying „trasport“ instead of „transport“.

Good stuff! I hate typos like that. I'll fix it right away.

I didn't expect you to go back and explore the previous areas, you have done so much of the module already. Since you cleared the tower, were you able to continue with the last bit and resolve that adventure arc? Let me know if you would like a nudge in that direction, as it would require more backtracking to a place you've been to.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion