Engine Ideas/Suggestions

Report any bugs or ideas/suggestions that arise during testing of the Alpha Build Version 5

Re: Engine Ideas/Suggestions

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 pm

:lol: Yeah, though me being green feels more like the Grinch :lol:
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am

A short level up report (perhaos via IBMessageBox) showing increase in HP and SP would be fine (perhaps also trait points, skill points and spell (buy) points gained as well as increases for BAB, REF, WILLL and FORT saves). Ideally blend in before player gets opportunity to spend those points. Just feels more rewarding to see all the improvements directly imho.

____

Furthermore, with positional gameplay becoming more and more important it would be great if delay turn would have a return ;) . Just ahd a few occasions where I would have liked my thief to stand in a spot occupied by another character. Delaying the Thief would have allowed me to move teh other character away. Especially with monsters changing facing directions it's hard otherwise for Thieves to reach correct positions.

____

The "I" shortcut for inventory works already in combat, but is easily overlooked. Perhaps add a graphical button for "swap equipment", too? Ideally authors would be able to define which items can be exchanged in combat, which cannot or even how long a switch takes.

_____

Accessing the character screen in combat, e.g. via portrait left click, would be nice. This way players could easily get some information on class, traits, spells, skills in one convenintely accessible place.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Lurking Grue » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Hello kids! It's that time again. Yes! It's time for Uncle Lurking Grue's Drawing Corner! Yeees, it is! Exciting isn't it? Now then, what will he draw today? Flowers? Horses? Pretty princesses? Noooo, of course not. You all know old Uncle Lurking Grue is a bit grumpy and only likes to draw user interfaces. He's funny like that. And there's no need to worry, he's had his medicine, so he's not going to growl or shake his fist at you like last time. Old Grue just had not taken his happy pills then, that's all. So, kids, enough talk. Here he is, drawing - yet again (despite requests otherwise) - proposals for IB UI. Yay!!! :D

OK, seriously now. I did a few sketches for the Shop/Vendor UI. The first one is just a minor revision to the one we have now, but the other two are a bit, umm, "tighter" revisions. I personally like the last one best as it is the most "refined", IM(not so)HO, but could live with the second one too. Note that colors aren't final in any sense, they're just placeholders, as are all the buttons and everything practically. These are just quick sketches to get the basic design and feel right.

Version 1:

Version 2:

Version 3 (my favorite):

About those "vendor action" buttons: Having several customizable buttons for the vendors would be great, because it would allow for all kinds of (scripted) actions to take place. Like repairing damaged weapons, armor, etc., identifying magic items, dispelling curses, healing/curing illnesses, recharging energy-using gear (sci-fi settings), or even disassembling them for parts (or nanites), etc. etc. If the engine would handle only one set of buttons for ALL vendors, these would need to be thought out carefully (and greyed out if not available), but optimally these could change per vendor (blacksmith has Repair, mage's tower has Identify Magic Item, the temple has Remove Curse, etc.). It would also make shoplifting or haggling attempts possible, and all kinds of other interactions with the vendor. The press of the button would result in a skill check for the selected PC to do that selected action. And so on and so forth. Just firing off random ideas, again.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: In the 3rd version, right-clicking would directly buy/sell the item, wouldn't need to left-click on it first. Left-click could be used to "browse", i.e. check the item's stats. Of course left-click and drag would be possible to move the item, e.g. to other PCs or to equip/unequip it. But basic buying and selling could be done with just right-clicking on items - faster and smoother than 1. click to select item, then 2. click on Buy or Sell button to buy or sell it.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:52 am

I want flowers! And cows!!! Gna, ok shopping screens will do, too :lol:

Version 3 would be my favorite, too. As always, excellent job there! I like those extra button ideas especially (repair, identify, haggle, steal, insert jewel, dismantle into components... something else customizable: click button, apply custom script on currently selected item) as shops indeed might offer a multitude of item related services that will be cumbersome to script into regular dialogue. Party gold is a must obviously. Again, stacking of items (as in all item related screens) is likely to happen in the long run. Otherwise scrolling through the 20 healing potions offered will lose the fun factor rather soon ;).

A usability highlight (red for not-usable / not-equippable) for the selected character would make shopping much easier, too. As would categories for the different item types that unveil their content once clicked (like Armors, Weapons, Potions, etc.).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:12 am

Use item right now does not work with equipped items. Imho it would be nice to e.g. allow equipped weapons to become usable, like for e.g. summoning a flaming lance or something.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Having a hard time right now in in figuring out how get the unique tag of an item object instance. Somehow, the PartyInventoryTagList in a savegame shows e.g. the tag "dagger01" multiple times. Are items handled fundamentally different then e.g. creatures or props? I mean, somehow they must be unique, as otherwise dropping one dagger would drop all daggers, etc. (wrote some stuff about this in the item blueprint section of the quick start guide, too).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:43 pm

Actually, they don't have unique identifiers for multiple items of the same blueprint in your inventory. When you drop or equip one of, say, four daggers from your inventory, the engine just grabs the first one it finds in your inventory when iterating through the list. Do you see a need for unique tags? If so, I could make a resref and tag for items like with props and creatures... would be tricky though to make work with all existing modules, but I could do it if needed.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Ah, thanks for the fast heads up, Jer. No, I don't want to put any more extra stuff on your to-do-list. It will work great as it is for now. Just good to know how it works (for planning how to set up things for the campaign).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:07 am

Lurking Grue wrote:These are just quick sketches to get the basic design and feel right.

Version 3 (my favorite):

What do you guys think?

I have to agree that I like the 3rd version the best. I am not sure if there is a good way to avoid inadvertant buying or selling if you accidently right click.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lurking Grue » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:45 pm

slowdive wrote:I have to agree that I like the 3rd version the best. I am not sure if there is a good way to avoid inadvertant buying or selling if you accidently right click.

Well, if the item which is inadvertently bought or sold can just be right-clicked again to buy back or return it to the vendor, i.e. cancel the transaction, with no loss of money, I don't see it as a problem. Consider closing the shop screen as "finalizing the deal", if you will, everything up to that is an ongoing transaction, an open "shopping session". So you can buy an item and return it (or sell an item and reclaim it) freely during an open shopping session. Closing the shop window ends the shopping session and "updates your money balance" for good.

The items which have been bought and sold just recently, could be colored differently or marked with an asterix or plus sign (like *healing potion or +healing potion) for the duration of the current shopping session to make them easier to differentiate. One thing to keep in mind, when talking of using color to mark or emphasize text, is that as the author is free to choose his/her color template for text and background, having a hard-coded color for emphasis could clash with the author's colors (e.g. having yellow text on yellow background). Of course, if we have certain hard-coded colors, like it seems we have in the combat log, it ought to be the author's responsibility to choose colors that don't clash badly or blend in with each other. (Maybe even give the author a choice of damage text color, emphasis text color, etc. in the Template Wizard, to further customize his/her module's colors.)

EDIT: After having a little look-see on some of the scripts for effects, I noticed there's a text color choice in the code there. So, nevermind my rambling about hard-coded colors above.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Lurking Grue
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha Build 5 Bugs and Ideas Reporting