Allies in encounters. Is it possible?

Ask any questions that you come up with while using the IB2 Toolset

Allies in encounters. Is it possible?

Postby Zeke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am

Is it possible to have temporary allies per encounter basis?

Sometimes in the GoldBox games, you were joined by one or more allies for a single battle. Is this possible to be recreated in the toolset?

I want to create a prison riot scenario with a battle consisting of the player party and allied prisoners versus the prison guards.
Zeke

Re: Allies in encounters. Is it possible?

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:26 pm

It is possible alreday to add allies for a battle as temporary party members just for that encounter (by using gaAddPartyMember and gaRemovePartyMember scipts on the script hooks of an encounter; not tested recently, but I think Jer did so already).

The player will have to control them manually. Allied AI is not yet coded, but certainly on the list for future updates.

Edit: This is what Jer wrote on the topic:

Not an automated one as of yet (I hope to introduce factions, dominate/charm, animal companions, summons, computer controlled friendlies, etc.). You can have NPCs join a battle like I did for Lanterna's ending, but they will be player controlled.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you for the reply. This Toolset is so good and it could become great in the future. Keep the good work guys!
Zeke

Postby Cagon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:36 pm

I am trying to implement this and am a little confused. Might be that I am working with IBmini and not IB2. You mention using " using gaAddPartyMember and gaRemovePartyMember scipts on the script hooks of an encounter". However I am unable to figure out where the script hooks of an encounter are. I find the trigger scripts and the scripts in a conversation. So I add a party member by using a trigger to do a conversation to add the party member, trigger the encounter, then another conversation where I remove the party member. Just wondering if I am missing something or if there is a better way to do it.
Cagon

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Cannot look up for IBMini right now. For IB2 you can open encounter, click area properties, switch to properties tab and then use the IBScript hooks. With these a custom script can be made to call the ga... scripts.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm

Like e.g.:

~gaAddPartyMember(parm(0))

"Parm0" here is entered in area properties, right underneath the chosen script hook itself. These parms are delineated via "," (if you use more than one).

In this case you could e.g. use Drin.json to add the character named Drin.

Edit: Just checked and it should work the same for IBMini.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Cagon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Do you mean the BIG button labeled “Area Properties”? The one who would bite me if it was a snake? Can’t believe I did not see it.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am able to make things work with adding and removing party members in a conversation but not through a script. I like the script idea. I can see adding or removing party members more than once. Not sure what the best way to show you is, screenshots or sharing the module. I tried uploading screenshots below.

By the way the gaRemovePartyMemeber.cs shows “//parm1 = (string) the tag of the PC (leave blank to use index instead)” but it behaves like gaAddPartyMemeber.cs “//parm1 = (string) PC filename (ex. drin.json) or PC's name (ex. Drin) if using a player from the Player Editor (case sensitive)”. I am using the PC’s name from the player editor, haven’t tried anything else. The PC’s name works.

See screenshot below. I have also tried hard coding the script with Sildor instead of parm(0)

script1.png
script1.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 1193 times

script2.png
script2.png (12.41 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Cagon

Postby slowdive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm

I just took a peek at the code and it looks like PCs are being placed on the combat map before the start of combat ibscript is run. So the PCs are added to the party but will not be on the map is my guess. We'll need to move the script hook to the very beginning of the combat setup method.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:28 am

Fine analysis, Jer. Makes a lot of sense to me. I will check and try to update IB2 beta accordingly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Made an attempt to fix all issues with this - see description of IB2 beta v25 in its thread. I realize now I forgot to update the scripts' descriptions for the adjusted usage in v25, will do next time ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to Questions and Answers