IBmini toolset questons/suggestions

Ask any questions that you come up with while using the IB2 Toolset

IBmini toolset questons/suggestions

Postby Cagon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:21 pm

First of all great job with the apps, tool sets and modules you have made so far. Really enjoying all of it.

This is my first time building a module so excuse my lack of knowledge. I have thought of doing something similar before, only got as far as loading a simple 12x12 map and moving an icon around. Overall I find your tool set nice and easy. Some things are not as obvious as I would think, like using a prop to have a visible static encounter is one. I have done software development so I know what you have done isn’t easy. Especially the dialogs and getting everything tied in with an easy to use tool set. Below are some of my comments and thought. I don’t mean to be critical but want to point out the places I am having trouble with.

Tool set
- Finding map tiles is a pain. Building isn’t too bad, just finding a tile I want is tedious. I don’t get the t_xx. I like the tile mapper application much better. Can I use that to build maps or do I need to stick with the mini version?
- Not many furniture tiles, don’t like the ultima tiles. What does it take to use the 'free' or open source tiles? I might be too enthusiastic about decorating my dungeons though.
- Lanterna characters tiles are nice.
- Finding an icon sprite for props/creatures/etc. is painful. Takes a while to load and then there is a lot to go through. Something like the tile mapper does would be nice.
- All the weapons/spells have a range of 1 by default. Is it supposed to be that way? Do I need to change them all to what I would like? I recommend making the defaults like what the other modules use.
- Healing potion doesn’t work? How do I get it to heal some hp? Haven‘t looked yet. :) Same as the weapons, make the defaults work like other modules if possible.
- can I have an automated npc fight on my side during an encounter? I want to get into an encounter where kobolds and regular soldiers are fighting. Then the PC shows up and helps them win.
- Mover enemies as props are nice!

I’m sure I’ll have more questions and opinions but wanted to get something out. I tend to procrastinate with things like this so I wanted to get something to you.
Cagon

Re: IBmini toolset questons/suggestions

Postby slowdive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:28 am

Great feedback there Cagon! I'll respond to each comment below:
Cagon wrote:- Finding map tiles is a pain. Building isn’t too bad, just finding a tile I want is tedious. I don’t get the t_xx. I like the tile mapper application much better. Can I use that to build maps or do I need to stick with the mini version?

The tilemapper won't work for IBmini, but can be used for IB2 modules since they can use a single image background image and tiles (IBmini only uses tiles and must be created with in the IBmini toolset). The organization of tiles is meant to be flexible so that builders can create their own "tabs" just by giving tiles a prefix in their filename. The "t_xx" button are generated automatically based on all the filename prefixes found in the tiles folder or the module's attached images (from the module editor). So if you give a tile a filename of "t_bq_chair01.png" (bq for bar quest), it will show up under the "t_bq" tab/button. I'm always open to any other suggestions on ways to make this easy to use, but remain flexible to builders at the same time. Maybe just better documentation (once I get that going) will help?

Cagon wrote:- Not many furniture tiles, don’t like the ultima tiles. What does it take to use the 'free' or open source tiles? I might be too enthusiastic about decorating my dungeons though.

Any tiles can be added to your module via the Module Editor or place them in the override folder while working on your module, but then submit them to me for inclusion in the default/NewModule/tiles folder for all to use.

Cagon wrote:- Lanterna characters tiles are nice.

Thanks, I did those with my Note 3 and "SketchBook for Galaxy". I created a custom tool for android called "IBmini Pixel Art Maker" for creating IBmini art, but I haven't released it officially yet.

Cagon wrote:- Finding an icon sprite for props/creatures/etc. is painful. Takes a while to load and then there is a lot to go through. Something like the tile mapper does would be nice.

Yup, some type of filtering buttons would be nice here...any suggestions anyone on how it should look and work?

Cagon wrote:- All the weapons/spells have a range of 1 by default. Is it supposed to be that way? Do I need to change them all to what I would like? I recommend making the defaults like what the other modules use.
- Healing potion doesn’t work? How do I get it to heal some hp? Haven‘t looked yet. Same as the weapons, make the defaults work like other modules if possible.

I think both of these are due to me not having updated the default starting module to use all the latest and greatest stuff...I'll fix that.

Cagon wrote:- can I have an automated npc fight on my side during an encounter? I want to get into an encounter where kobolds and regular soldiers are fighting. Then the PC shows up and helps them win.

Not an automated one as of yet (I hope to introduce factions, dominate/charm, animal companions, summons, computer controlled friendlies, etc.). You can have NPCs join a battle like I did for Lanterna's ending, but they will be player controlled.

Cagon wrote:- Mover enemies as props are nice!

Yes, that was fun to implement with Karl's help.

Great stuff...keep the suggestions coming :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IBmini toolset questons/suggestions

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 am

Welcome Cagon and sorry for me being a bit slow with this welcome. I have bit many balls in the air at the same time here, so I react a bit slower and superficially than I would ideally wish for.

The feedback is great and much appreciated. The tile filter buttons that Jer mentioned help a lot already for getting some order into the long list. In IB2 toolset there is also a "pick your tile from map" functionality which makes using already onscreen tiles much more convenient.

Movers are really cool and can do much more than we have seen in modules so far (well, minus my still lacking longer playtime with the newer modules from you great guys). E.g. world time driven movers can even switch maps and can have very complex routines spanning up to a year ingame time. Chasers hunting for the player are also quite cool.

More later :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to Questions and Answers