The Elderin Stone

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: The Elderin Stone

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 am

Feeling bad here that I still did not find the time to play further :? . Sorry for that. On a brighter note, once I will do so, I can use the most refined version, so I can experience the adventure in its best shape, hehe :D . Really looking forward to it :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am

youngneil1 wrote:Feeling bad here that I still did not find the time to play further :? . Sorry for that. On a brighter note, once I will do so, I can use the most refined version, so I can experience the adventure in its best shape, hehe :D . Really looking forward to it :D !

No problem! You've been busy adding loads of good stuff to the engine and toolset, which is much appreciated. :)

OK, so I've fixed the endings (and lost 4 sanity points testing them repeatedly... next time its definitely all going into one convo! :D), corrected a tonne of typos, and fixed some other minor stuff that was annoying me a bit. I've just got the spell effects to check through again and then its ready.

I'm a bit stuck on the exploding zombies at the minute though. They are set up so that if they hit a PC they cast the "explode" spell. This is an AOE spell with a range of 1, so it always kills them in addition to hitting whatever is stood next to them. The spell triggers fine and the damage is fine, but for some reason the fiery animations don't trigger. I've played around with it a lot from the version I uploaded and I still can't figure out why. I've now got it set up as basically being a replica of the fireball spell (but with a shorter range), but even though it is set up with same animations and AOE the exploding animation doesn't trigger. It's not a big problem, really, but it would be a nice-to-have if anyone can spot what I'm doing wrong.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Looking forward to the update and I'll make the changes to the ibmini version. I remember seeing the exploding zombie issue. I'll try and see if I can figure it out.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you, Phil :) - glad to see you going strong there. And hey, and it feels reassuring/comforting that I am not the only one with an IB fried brain here :lol: .

Will look at the zombie issue, too, later. For now, placing it on the bugs list...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Cool, thanks both. I'll upload the "fixed" version tomorrow evening, with all the convos working.

After that, I need to start on a new project.... but where to go now? The options are to start fleshing out Blackwinter again; to take another of the smaller dungeon areas from Blackwinter and develop it into a standalone, similar to how I did the Elderin Stone (possibly a mountain adventure this time...); or to go back to the sci-fi module I began working on a couple of years back.

At the minute, I'm leaning towards sci-fi. Some of the upcoming changes to the engine (eg with regard to permanent traits etc) will really open up opportunities here, but the main thing that held it back last time was the lack of ammo. Having powerful guns with infinite ammo just didn't work. Of course, ammo is now sorted, and it would be a hell of a lot of fun balancing a module with powerful side arms and less powerful but more reliable melee weapons.

Whatever the setting, I think the next module will be back to a single player character (with recruitable followers) format. I really enjoy the flexibility and challenge from full party creation in modules (and it saves a lot of time not having to add in optional party convos with followers!), but they can be helpful for explaining lore and factions and adding atmosphere.

I'll have a think about it over the next couple of weeks (whilst taking my dwarf party through Hearkenwold!) and work out what I'm actually doing...!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 am

Very inspiring to read :) . I feel the adventure build urge big time, too, but the circle has to be drawn fully first. Tie those loose ends with engine and toolset.

As my own scifi project stalled it would be especially cool to see you doing a scifi adventure. Would prove IBs flexibility big time and also very likely help us find new bugs and discover new exciting features to implement :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I just uploaded the new version to the Vault.

Incidentally, Slowdive, on your let's play you were wondering where the module's art came from - I made all of the background tiles (walls, grass, rivers etc - which was fun) and the character portraits (which took far longer than I expected), but not the character tokens (which are FRUA). I'm happy for any of my stuff to be reused in other people's modules if anyone would find it helpful.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Those tiles are awesome! Great work. I'll include them in the default tiles folder for ibmini and they all have a prefix of"t_es_" so builders will know they came from The Elderin Stone module. The new filter buttons in the map editors makes it very easy to show only these tiles while working on Elderin edits. I'll get started with adding the new TES version changes to the ibmini version.

My goal is to have The Elderin Stone, Hearkenwold, and Lanterna ready to go when posting the initial release of ibmini on Google Play.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Nice work, Pongo. Look forward to future updates about your next project.

I also liked the floor tiles in Elderin Stone. Made each dungeon level feel unique, oozing with atmosphere.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks! Hopefully the tiles will get some use in other people's adventures.

I've just immediately uploaded a new version with a couple of spell duration fixes I meant to add in (originally some of them were in turns rather than game seconds!).
Pongo
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion