Blackwinter

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Blackwinter

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Good Point, Phil. Originally I had thought that the current Unwanted Guests module build would be contained in the beta release v21, too. Therefore I wrote this point of the conversion instruction:

VI. Open up the toolset, open up your module in toolset and use the "merger wizard" to transfer torch and ration items from contained Unwanted Guests module to your module. The "merger wiazard" contains intoolset good instructions for this already, step by step. If your module should already contain a torch item (saw this for Hearkenwold), mayhaps rename the exsiting torch item a bit. Or rename the added torch item, but then please make sure to also adjust the onUseItemScriptParameters (see also explanation below) of the torch item so that the first parameter refers to the changed name.

As this is not possible without Unwanted Guests, I will add the needed settings for both items (torch, ration) right in this post here:

I. Ration

Very easy (item properties): just set isRation to true and also isStackable to true. Resref is just "ration" (I think this is not even needed actually). Icon is it_ration.png (or of course your own artwork). Also note that you can set the maximum amount of carryable rations (maxNumberOfRationsAllowed) in the module properties and also turn the ration system on/off there.

II. Torch

Item properties: isLightSource to true, also isStackable to true. Name should be Torch, resref should be torch (note the capital starting letter for name and the small letter for resref). Icon is it_torch. OnUseItemIBScript has to be doPartyLight. OnUseItemIBScriptParms should be these: Torch,yellow,1,1

Done :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Great thanks Karl!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Yes, this is good information. Rations adds an extra layer of resource management. Look forward to see how it works out in your project, Pongo.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:59 pm

Right, bit of an unexpected break there, but now back to finishing the module!

Karl, I can't get the ration system to work. I have created a ration item ("dried meat biscuits" :)) and given 5 to the party at the start of the module. In item properties, isRation is set to true and the resref is "ration". The 5 stacked meat biscuits turn up in the inventory, but the party still take damage every 24 hrs for being hungry and can't rest - it's not recognising them as rations. I'm probably missing something obvious - any thoughts?
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:23 am

Sorry to hear about the ration troubles - let us see where I messed it up :lol:. I am on it :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:59 am

Hmm, it works for my internal verion here, BUT does not work with the beta release (can confirm the bug). I miss something crucial here... still investigating.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 am

And even stranger, worked flawlessly in two more tests with released beta. Alright, maybe I assumed the bug exists in released beta too fast and mistook the red warning message for low rations for last ration's damage message(?).

Regardless, you face the bug anyway. Hmmmm,...

I could imagine that it might be related somehow to item and itemRef difference (struggled with separating those proprely in my coding for rations). For example containers (chests) seem to store some select properties of the items (untechnical) in them, inter alia I did place isRation there, too. Assuming you had at first isRation set to false when creating your own ration item, then placed it in the chest and later on chnaged isRation to true, the (container) chest might still have set isRation to false for this item instance.

Long story short: please try to delete the "old" rations placed (e.g. remove from containers), then make sure isRation is set to true in the blueprint for your rations and then place them again (e.g. in a container's list).

Keeping fingers crossed, but it is a bit a shot in the dark...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 am

thanks Karl, I'll have a go at that later. I wonder if I've missed an update as well - I'm on v21 - I'll check this when I'm back on my pc. I'll continue to play around with it until I get it to work - rations will make a much more rewarding find than some of the junk I currently have as loot...!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:24 am

V21 should be right, we are working on v22 internally here. Maybe we could do an earler release than envisioned january of 2017 for v22. The amount of changes, mostly bug fixes, is quite significant by now.

Keeping fingers crossed that the rations work out for you. If you still have troubles, please keep me updated and I will try to fix it/get a work around up and running :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks for the help Karl - I've found a workaround, but I still don't understand the problem. I remade the rations item but it turns out it wasn't that.

Initially I was giving the PC 5 rations during the introduction convo so they would have a small stash at the start of the module. The module never recognises these rations. When the module starts the PC has the 5 rations in their inventory, but the rations counter reads 0 and they can't rest and take damage over time etc.

However, if I leave the rations in chests then they DO register as rations when they are picked up. Everything then works fine!

I've experimented by giving the PC rations (using giveItem) in other convos a bit further into the module, and the bug happens every time - they turn up in the inventory but are never recognised as being rations. The bug seems to be specifically linked to getting the rations in a convo.

For the moment I can just add them to containers to get around this.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion