Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:23 pm

I've been working a lot on the fortress dungeon, and had a revelation. The name Relmfur should be pronounced "Relm-fyoor", like the vowel sound in "fury".

It's one of those quirky fantasy naming conventions, taking a word or syllable with a common English spelling, and giving it a twist for flavor.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm

I like the sound of it :) . Yep, twisting letters a bit to make stuff more interesting or to hide the origin of a word goes a long way. Or using foreign languages, often in a slightly modified way. Warhammer Fantasy eg has lots of German names and references. Or Latin, it's used so often directly or at least referentially.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Or Latin, it's used so often directly or at least referentially.

Definitely Latin. One example I can think of in Hearkenwold, the name of a dwarven clan is Faxcrest, which in the game translates to "House of the Torch". Fax is the Latin word for torch.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 pm

January Update

Happy New Year from Hearkenwold!

Last month, I was able to finish the dungeon of Fortress Relmfur, and I added some more content to Skardale. I am refraining from posting screenshots, because I want to wrap up the whole update and make a release soon. Needless to say, there is more work to be done yet. I am considering to cap the amount of citizen houses in the city at about 50, which is probably half of what I would have liked. But it can be time consuming when there are other things that need attention. I'll see how much more I can add in the upcoming weeks. The scope of Skardale is something I have to get a handle on, considering it is a location setting for a number of events.

Besides that, there are areas from much earlier last year I will now return to in January. Like the bugbear infested village and a smaller woodland town. I am anxious to give all the new content a full play through, once everything is in place. Some encounters I have tested are very tough, but characters gaining another experience level or access to some of the new equipment I've been adding, can make a difference.

Hopefully I will be closer to the finish line by next month's report.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Sounding great Dorateen. 50 citizen houses is already sounding like loads! Lots of opportunities for thieves...?
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Pongo wrote:Sounding great Dorateen. 50 citizen houses is already sounding like loads! Lots of opportunities for thieves...?

Thanks Pongo! There will be thieves encountered, and opportunities for player character thieves as well. But this is all done through conversation interaction, for the citizen houses. So not quite new areas like in Baldur's Gate. But some houses do lead to combat, and in those cases transition to a combat map, naturally.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Cool, sounds like a good way to add interesting city content.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion