Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:10 pm

When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?

Now, it's obvisously lightning here :lol: Well done battle setup 8-) !

Web and lightnig looks indeed like a perfect recipe for disaster :twisted: ... I like!
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:53 pm

That is very fitting. It is safe to say the party did not have a happy Halloween last week!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 pm

December Update

Approaching the end of the year, and trying to finish up as much as I can for a release early 2018. Realistically, I have parts of Skardale and Relmfur that still need work. And lots of little details to bring the whole adventure together. I would be thrilled if I can be in the position to start a thorough test in January. In the meantime, here is an overview of what I've been working on this past month.

I upgraded to version 78 of the IceBlink engine and tested out the script to cast a spell in conversation. This example uses a fireball, but I also have a plan to trigger a bless spell from dialogue as well. The spell is fired from the PC response, and the party was hit by the appropriate spell, making saving throws or resisting dependent on the character. I like this better than the general damage party script, and wonder if this might be a better option for traps and such going forward.

Here is an example of new enemies that will trigger spell effects when they hit the characters. Expert Treasure Hunters, with the ability to put everyone to sleep.

Showcasing the use of learnable traits, and buying a skill that will increase a character's attribute. There are six such trainers corresponding to each of the ability scores.

I have not upgraded to build 79 yet, but I plan to after the weekend. I will be able to test the new usable items systems. But it sounds like youngneil1 addressed all the concerns with some great fixes. Here is that wand of lightning I was talking about, with electricty protection as a benefit of equipping it.

And here is the wand in action, using it in a battle against the undead. Again, this is not testing the fix yet, but it was neat to capture this shot.

Next week, I will begin working with version 79, and will be concentrating on the dungeon of Fortress Relmfur. It's an opportunity to find more new items and battle new enemies. I'm very excited about how IceBlink is coming along. It should be a productive season.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Wow, some great progress there implementing all of Karl's recent hard work. I look forward to starting another Let's Play when the new version is out. This time I can do a PC version since my win10 machine has the nice built in GameMode recording function to record the screen and voice.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 am

It's a great joy to see the new screens :) . So much variance and flavour in them. Also, I am really happy that you bravely test out the new features and help to uncover all the bugs they surely bring with them.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks, slowdive and youngneil1.

I have downloaded the latest version 79 of the IceBlink engine and started testing the useable magic items situation. Here is what I've encountered:

This screen shows the new Inventory with the selected character's already equipped items on the top row with gold border. Including the wand of lightning. Please note, I have not been able to get any number representing charges to display. I have switched to Quantity, using 6, and set the item as non-stackable. I'm wondering if there is another setting I missed.

stormwand1.jpg
stormwand1.jpg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 64 times

When moving to the next page of the Inventory screen, the top row of items still shows the gold border, even though these are not equipped by the selected character. It looks like the borders are transferring over as you scroll across the pages.

inventoryPage2.jpg
inventoryPage2.jpg (182.03 KiB) Viewed 64 times

It would be nice if this new method of showing a character's equipped items on top of the shared inventory could be reserved for combat only, and not when bringing up the party inventory outside of combat. I don't know if that's possible.

As for using the item itself. Good news is, the character was able to select the wand while equipped and cast the spell. The first round, it works correctly with the character's turn ending and moving to the next PC in the initiative bar.

However, subsequent uses of the wand in the same battle still allow the character a free action. In the Coding Task List thread, it mentions something about a property called "usesTurnToActivate". Is that supposed to be available on the item blueprint properties? Again, unless I missed it, I could not find this setting. Furthermore, without numbers being displayed over the item icon, I can't be certain that charges have been assigned or are being expended. Testing makes it seem like the item can only be destroyed if set to have a one-use condition.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh dear, sorry for the mutliple troubles.

I think that maybe you dont see the charges because they will only appear for items not placed already in inventory (or chest). The quantity property of existing items (itemrefs) is likely read from savegame (and not from module). Please try placing a fresh staff of lightning and picking it up then.

The yellow square frames on top row of second screen of inventory is an omission of mine. My test scenario had only one page of items. Great find :)!

I must think about displaying equipped usebale items only in combat. It might be counterintuitive if such items eg contain a healing spell.

"UsesTurnToActivate" refers to the spell on the item (it is a spell property, well, or so I think, cannot look up right now). Still, this does not explain why it works differently in different rounds. Looks like a bug indeed.

I am on it :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 am

"UsesTurnToActivate" refers to the spell on the item (it is a spell property, well, or so I think, cannot look up right now). Still, this does not explain why it works differently in different rounds. Looks like a bug indeed.

Definetly a bug, ran into the issue ,too, here. I had this workign already, so I must have done something to let the bug return, sigh... squished he shall be in the end :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 pm

youngneil1 wrote:I think that maybe you dont see the charges because they will only appear for items not placed already in inventory (or chest). The quantity property of existing items (itemrefs) is likely read from savegame (and not from module). Please try placing a fresh staff of lightning and picking it up then.

This worked, I placed a new instance of the wand and that one showed the 5 charges correctly. I tested using the charges, and upon reaching 0 the wand was no longer able to be activated. All good here!

I see now that having the equipped items show on the top Inventory row even out of combat will be needed for equipped items that have uses outside of combat, such as healing. So the way you have it set up should be the best way to go.

The turn not ending bug seems to be pretty hit or miss. But it sounds like you might have that fixed soon. Thanks!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Glad to hear that this part is working out, great feedback there :) .

The "fail to end turn" bug is a tricky one - I think I have it solved now (but so I thought beforehand^^).

Gonna release another beta version soon containing the new fix (attempt) and some other minor stuff (like different color for charges vs. color of normal quantity of eg ammo or potion stacks). Also fixed the yellow frame for equipped items appearing on inventory screen Nr. 2 and beyond.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion