Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm

These fine gentlemen will surely have a hell of a good time :D !

The wizard would be missed by pointy eared players, as would two more fellows - then again, your fellowship has eyes of steel, muscles straight from the deepest bowels of the earth and strong ale instead of fickle blood pumping through their veins, so who is to stop them, harf :twisted: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Hey, Pongo, looks good. Two fighters will give you some power up front in terms health and melee damage. You still have the cleric to cast Hold. If you need more crowd control in larger battles, you might have to get creative with magic items. Good luck!

youngneil1, glad you are enjoying Skardale. I'm mostly happy with the way it turned out. The number of citizens houses could seem overwhelming at first. Be sure to check out some of the more interesting parts of the city!

slowdive, you have been making great progress with IBbasic. Thanks for the feedback.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

youngneil1, glad you are enjoying Skardale. I'm mostly happy with the way it turned out. The number of citizens houses could seem overwhelming at first. Be sure to check out some of the more interesting parts of the city!

Skardale is a really vast and wonderfully deep and complex place indeed. And it's also quite labyrinthic, at least for the first couple of minutes. It takes time to adjust to the black marble streets and especially to the grey stone plazas around houses. I like this contrasting aesthetic - when eg compared to typical brown villages - a lot. Maybe try adding height shadows / height levels to the houses themselves - this way they would be easier to tell apart from to the grey stone plazas often around them (which could be mistaken for walls)?

Another oddity is that when leaving a map into direction A, the party is not neccessarily starting the next map from the corresponding opposite direction B. In a few cases I seemed to have "walked around a corner" somehow while transiting maps. Or maybe I did just confuse myself :roll: .

Finally many houses look very similar and it takes a good memory to remember which house was already inspected and which potential quest giver or interesting shopkeeper was again in which house. Oh, and these guards that force their dialogue upon the party each time again while I pass them made me want to start the riots right away in that very moment :lol: .

These orientation niggles aside, Skardale is so amazing - it's eg full of humour acutally. Did have a really good laugh a few times (like poor Tremin being supposedly eaten by a bear :lol: ). Also, my thief's answer options were hillarious many times in the city which I enjoyed a lot. Then, there is also deep lore in Skardale, like the origin tale of the founding of Skardale with many pictures and a really superbly written text. Bravo!

My party is lvl 6, some 7 already, by now. Still, combat remains or actually even becomes more challenging. I often find myself looking for rest after even a single battle or two. It definetly keeps me on my toes, which is simply great :) ! I have only had a short look into Relmfur castle, too, so this is still open for exploration, too. Wrathack is no more, yeah :), so I think we are on a good way to prove ourselves the heroes that the bards already make us in tune and rhyme. Now if only I could fidn a good way to go after Thespar...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm

That is great feedback, thanks! Skardale is the one place I would encourage some note-taking. It would be helpful if there was a way to include on screen x,y coordinates of the map grid. As it is, I would note the district you are in, and a general description of the location of important houses. Also, on page 48 of this thread, I posted an image of how all the Skardale maps are connected. This might assist in orientation. There were a few corners that are a little tricky, but the more you travel back and forth between areas, I think players will get the hang of it.

Your reaction to the guards stopping the party in the streets is what I had hoped for. I could make those conversations fire once only, but I sort of like the idea of the guards being an annoying presence, always ordering you about and getting in your business. It drives home what the citizens of the city must be going through, and creates the atmosphere of a police state. The trick of course, is to stay off the black paved streets as much as possible.

I enjoyed that little quip about the bear, probably a personal favorite and it still makes me laugh whenever I choose that option. I have a wry sense of humor. And I really wanted to put a spotlight on thieves for this part of the adventure, giving them some amusing lines in conversations. (Also bits of interactions, which having a thief around will come in handy!)

Very interested to hear how you will navigate events in the city.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Just found the giant frog - great to see the big props working well!

This might be intentional, but in the area with the animals you can hunt for food just north of the frog - any action seems to end in combat. Eg, when you meet the bear and the rabbit, you end up in combat even if you choose not to attack them.

I might repeat comments from the others as I play through it I'm afraid, I'm not reading things in detail because I'm avoiding spoilers. :)

Having great fun so far though. I enjoyed the way the first dwarf my group met in the castle acknowledged that he was talking to a fellow dwarf, nice touch!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Pongo wrote:This might be intentional, but in the area with the animals you can hunt for food just north of the frog - any action seems to end in combat. Eg, when you meet the bear and the rabbit, you end up in combat even if you choose not to attack them.

Ah, that is definitely a bug. Likely an old trigger issue. I will take care of it in the upcoming fixes.

Interesting the first NPC you meet in a castle is a dwarf, isn't it? Ha ha
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

I might repeat comments from the others as I play through it I'm afraid, I'm not reading things in detail because I'm avoiding spoilers.

Ah, that's my bad, sorry :oops: .

Maybe I can use the code tags to hide spoilers a bit...

Code: Select all
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Here comes the spoiler...

Edit: Yes, that seems to work out. So if I find it neccessary for feedback to write down spoiler content, I will hide in code box next time.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

youngneil1 wrote:

Ah, that's my bad, sorry :oops: .

It wasn't a complaint or a criticism! :) All I meant is that I haven't read your posts so I might duplicate some of your points.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Awesome, then I will only make use of the spoiler code tags if is really a major thingie that should even be read by accident while glancing over the whole text.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:30 am

Made more progress last night - my characters are now level 2. They haven't struggled so far as a four man party, although I've had to rest a lot between combat and there've been a few reloads on the way.

One thing I just wanted to highlight is the loot placement - so far it's great. My party found a weapon with an interesting description last night. Turned out it was "just" a normal longsword, but the description of the weapon made it feel like it had so much more purpose and value. My only magic item so far is a lucky rabbits paw, which Breccia is wearing with pride. Aside from that, everyone is decked out in leather armour and short swords/a mace. Finding new items will be really rewarding.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion