Unnarmed attack counts as ranged?

Report any bugs found while using the toolset

Unnarmed attack counts as ranged?

Postby Zeke » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Is the attack with no weapon tagged as "Melee"? It seems there is a -4 attack penalty when attacking barehanded.
Zeke

Re: Unnarmed attack counts as ranged?

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Ah, good catch. That is not intended (at least fas far as I know). I will look into it.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 am

I failed to duplicate the issue here unfortunately. Neither a character who never had a weapon nor one who equipped and unequipped a melee weapon again was considered a ranged attacker.

Can you please tell me more about the situation where it occured and which IB version you have been using?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 am

Hmm, it seems I can't save a player json with no item equipped in the main hand. After saving the character in the Player Editor and loading, it alway has the last item in the dropdown selected as a Main Hand weapon.

Latest version V33.
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

Great heads up :) - I will monitor the Player Editor as next step (have not used it in a long time, my test characters were directly created ingame), investigating what causes this bug...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 am

I'm sorry, there is no such problem. It seems when an item resref is left blank a lot of bugs are happening. The item is equipped on all my character slots and a lot of weird stuff is going on. It could be nice if there is a default resref on item creation so that there aren't such problems.

As we are on this, are there plans for point relocation system? Yeah, it's not that "classical" but it always felt more balanced to me :D

Otherwise, I have plans for implementing character creation via Conversation dialog, but it's still only in my head and don't know how viable this idea is.
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm sorry, there is no such problem. It seems when an item resref is left blank a lot of bugs are happening. The item is equipped on all my character slots and a lot of weird stuff is going on. It could be nice if there is a default resref on item creation so that there aren't such problems

Ah, alright, then I will approach it from that angle. There's a system for auto assiginig unique tags, so it should be dobale to have the same for resrefs of freshly made or duplicated items.

As we are on this, are there plans for point relocation system? Yeah, it's not that "classical" but it always felt more balanced to me :D

I like a respec option, too, as it encourages experimenting with setups and learning the game system (without having to replay several times). That being said, I fear this will not be trivial. Easiset way would be likely to reset the level to 1, but keep the experience points. Then remove all traits and spells as well as all automatic benefits for bab, saves, hit points and spell points. The most tricky thing might be the assignment allowed on level 1 itself (as this is no classical level up). I will look into this, but more for a later stage.

Otherwise, I have plans for implementing character creation via Conversation dialog, but it's still only in my head and don't know how viable this idea is.

That should work out quite well via scripting, directly changing all kinds of properties of the player character. Most difficult part will be elegantly skipping the char creation screen (which is pointless then). I must look into how we handled the "start with premade pc" option (cannot recall right now).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 pm

That should work out quite well via scripting, directly changing all kinds of properties of the player character. Most difficult part will be elegantly skipping the char creation screen (which is pointless then). I must look into how we handled the "start with premade pc" option (cannot recall right now).

The module properties mustUsePreMadePC and defaultPlayer name work as they should. However there is no character token select of course.
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 pm

The module properties mustUsePreMadePC and defaultPlayer name work as they should. However there is no character token select of course.

Nice, then modifying this starting character in a convo right at the start of the game should work out nicely. It has been a long time since I wrote a longer custom 'IBScript and chances are that some player character properties have not been added yet to the ib script engine, so some stuff might be inaccessible right now (we will get to a full update of the ib scripting language later, well, quite much later ;-)).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to Toolset Bugs