Two combat hiccups

Any bugs found while playing or testing the engines for both PC and Android

Two combat hiccups

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon May 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Besides the collision issues I posted about in another topic (which I'd noticed before the updates of the last few weeks), I noticed some oddities with the recent updates.

The last build I was using consistently enough to test combat was v41, and I didn't see these issues there, so it seems like one of the updates since that might have introduced them. In any case, the first bug is that PCs that don't have the double attack trait can occasionally attack or act twice in the same round. I'm not sure why and have been unable to reproduce it consistently, though it does seem to become *more* consistent when the other bug comes into play. This second bug is simply that some enemy attackers hang back and don't attack at all.

I'm going to remove the creatures from the combat I've been using, repopulate it, and see if anything changes. Though as I said I'm not able to get the double acting consistently, I'm usually able to get it at least once a battle.
zach_holbrook

Re: Two combat hiccups

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:08 am

Ah, sorry to hear. Many thanks for the feedback, Zach. These kind of bugs I fight with since the cast duration system.

Are you using creatures greater than size 1? Or is any if the token (player, creature) more than 100x200pix (ie 2 frame, normal size)? This might be one possible reason I fix right now.

Generally, how is your buggy encounter(s) setup? So maybe I can reproduce some stuff here.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 pm

I can reproduce a "player does not end turn after action" hiccup now: it occurs when a character first moves at least one square and then casts. Investigating...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 pm

zach_holbrook wrote:PCs that don't have the double attack trait can occasionally attack or act twice in the same round.

I can confirm this as well, in version 47. It happened in the first round of a battle, then seemed to be all right after that. I do think it occurred after the character moved and took its first action.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Awesome feedback! With your combined info I think/hope I fixed it now :D . I had the habit of bump attacking as well as mostly stationary pc casters. Both caused a testing blind spot for move+cast/attack button. Added correct code instructions for ending turns there and so far no more double actions... will publish asap :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm

I haven't been able to re-create the double action issue with v49. Yay!

I'm still getting the stationary combatants, though. For what it's worth, they're melee attackers. When I approach them and attack, they will attack back, but they seem to skip their turns otherwise. They're also further away than other combatants.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Many thanks again for the feedback, Zach. I found a typo/mix up bug and a more complex conceptual bug I introduced, which both potentially affect the non-moving creatures you encountered. Please keep me in the loop if the v50 beta (just published) does change anything on your end - for the better or actually worse.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Fri May 26, 2017 12:01 pm

So far, so good! Two enemies consistently didn't act in a combat I use for testing acted as normal. Many thanks!
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Awesome, that's a very promising development :) . I still have to sort some stuff with oversized creatures and their valid paths, but it looks like it all falls into place nicely.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to Engine Bugs