Grahir - The Beginnings

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

Re: Grahir - The Beginnings

Postby slowdive » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:34 am

Sounds challenging. Will be interesting to see how it works out. Looking forward to play testing :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:32 am

Will be challenging indeed, I guess. But hey, that's half the fun :mrgreen: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 am

Just a work in progress of a map showing the gate area of the city Corvallon. Will add more houses and details. Much will be done with props, too, in order to have a more dynamic map (think e.g. torches on and off, city gate open/closed). Scale is done in a way that streets and potential choke points (e.g. patrollable wall here) are two squares wide. This should make it easier to prevent all those moving NPC inhabiting the city from getting stuck. Art style is far from finsihed, it will remain rather sketchy though (like a game master drawing on a paper grid in a pen&paper session, yet with some colors and a little more detail). Reason being my artistic skills :lol: as well as the time needed for a more detailed/realistic style. With the rather epic scope I would like the campaign to have, that's the most realitic way to do it if I ever want to get ahead :lol: .

1429770537628.jpg
1429770537628.jpg (392.83 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Looks like a foreboding iron-wrought fence/gate there. I wonder if that is any indication about the city itself. Always challenging to create a bustling high-density area. Interested to see the dynamic elements working on the map.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Yep, gate (open during day, closed at night) will come as will coal braziers lit during night time only. Added slight shading, some trees, a few more buildings... will get there. Once all is set up, I will post you comparison shots with various elements on and off :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:06 am

As I do a lot of stuff with a seamless map right now, the whole area structure of the campaign is soemthign imporant to get a grasp of now.

I think it will work out like this for me:

Now, what comes is a very big picture first - this will be filled over years and decades (so god will) with life. The first released chapter might very well play just on a single of the maps envisoned below.

1. The worldmaps
The (playable ) continent of Grahir including seas will cover 5 x 9 connected worldmaps (wm_). Each will be size 100x100, filled with tiles. When described with a single atttribue (mainly by kingdom) it looks like this:

xxxxxxxAxxxxxxxxxxBxxxxxxxxxCxxxxxxxxxDxxxxxxxxxxExxxx
0: Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx
1: Desertxxxx,Mountainxx,Icexxxxxxx,Icexxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx
2: Desertxxxx,Mountainxx,Icexxxxxxx,Icexxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx
3: Desertxxxx,Mountainxx,Cormondor,Cormondor,Seaxxxxxxx
4: Desertxxxx,ZhoNxxxxxx,Mornexxxx,Athlethain,Stormislesx
5: Desertxxxx,Desertxxxxx,Djunglexx,Karavalorx,Seaxxxxxxx
6: Desertxxxx,Desertxxxxx,Djunglexx,Nehitoxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx
7: Desertxxxx,Desertxxxxx,Nehitoxxx,Nehitoxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx
8: Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx,Seaxxxxxxx

Furthermore there will be five wm_ maps for the Realm of Mirrcharade (they are physically dislocated from the mian continent):

xxxxxxxxxxxxMirrcharadexxxxxxxxxxx
Mirrcharade,IgniCorxxxxx,Mirrcharade
xxxxxxxxxxxxMirrcharadexxxxxxxxxxx

All in all it's 50 maps with 100x100 squres each. A staggering 500.000 squres. Yeah, enough to get lost in, player and even more author :lol: .
Most is sea and desert, empty, a canvas for exploration, expedition, getting lost, drowned, shipwracked, frozen, burnt and starved...oh, and mad, of course, that especially... fun times :twisted: .

Concerning scale, I think that one step for a walking party will consume about 4 hours (more in diffcult terrain, half with horses or road, quarter with horses and on road). So walking an entire wm_map will consume 100x4=400 hours, i.e. about 15 days or riding / using main road 7 days. On horse and with road it could be done in about 3.5 days. As even main rosds will be no sraight line, expect even hasty travelerers to need about 5 days per map. Ignoring sea squares, that's 5 * 7 = about a month to ravel Grahir north to south in ideal conditions. Or four months when travelling by foot in the shelter of woods and shadows of mountains :) .

6 squares will consume a full day. As I estimate about 30km for walkers a day, I would guess that each square represents 5kmx5km of fine Grahir estate ;) . Please note that the 4 hours per square inculde automatic taking breaks, sleeping, etc. Also note that such automatic rests do not heal the party. This will need inns or specials places.

This also means that every 24 hours, i.e. aopproximately every 6th squre, a ration is consumed. The party has a carry limit of 7 party rations (one week of food/drink for everybody). Every 42 squares they better stack up provisions. That's about 2.5 times per wm_. On top of this comes ration consumtion due to adventuring on the adventure maps, of course. Extreme conditions might increase ration consumtion further. Special special equipment or traits might increas the ration limit a little or affect consumtion rate.

With 7*100=700 squares, our Grahir coast line will be about 3.500 km long. Impressive enough, no ;) :P ?

2. The area maps
The 50 worldmaps are just the tip of the content iceberg though. They will contain "adeventure locations" that will transition the party to seamless adventure maps of very different sizes and scales. This can be everythign from a tiny tent to a full city to the entrace of a 30 level deep dungeon. Most of them will be top down perspective, some from side view to show vertical differences (climb mountains, venture deep into chasms, dive icy blue lakes...). They can have submaps themselves that decresse the scale to even gretaer detail, like a city will have submaps for some of its houses.

The time (and therewith rations) consumed per step on these submaps will beless, the smaller the scale is. A step in a house interior e.g. might consume only 5 minutes of investigating, pauses and sleep time mixed in as an average.

3. Sorting and naming conventions
It will be absolutely important to have a good naming and sorting system so that all areas can be easily located in the big picture. That's more important for me as author than for the players actually :lol: .

The worldmaps wm_ will be sorted by big letter along x-axis, starting with A, and a number along y-axis, starting with 0, with A0 being top left, this will be followed by descriptive text. Like this:
wm_A8_SeaOfTears
wm_A7_DryEyeDesert
wm_D3_EasternCormondor

The area maps will be preceded by the coordinates of the wm_map they are found on. Then comes the x and y coordinate on that wm_ map, beginng with 0,0 in top left corner of the wm_ map, followed by descriptive text for whole location, followed by relative location by East and North, assuming fictive center 50,50, followed descriptive text of submap piece. This can layer depper for submaps of submaps.

D3_x37y18_BrokenAntler_E50N50_EntranceVillage
D3_x37y18_BrokenAntler_E48N50_FarWesternFields
D3_x37y18_BrokenAntler_E48N50_FarWesternFields_x7y9_FarmSmithers_E50N50_Entrance
And so forth :D ...

WIP
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General Module Discussion