Grahir - The Beginnings

Discuss Adventure Modules for the Android version of IceBlink

Grahir - The Beginnings

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:22 pm

And so it finally begins... created the project folder for "Grahir - The Beginnings".

It will be made for just one main PC (pre-made) and a group of carefully characterized companions (some temporary, some permanent) that join him through the adventure. The starting character will be quite young (15 years) and still developing his potential. Consequently, the starting attributes will be quite low and then increase during the adventure based on choices made. Exp progress will be very slow, so the campaign doesn't outgrow the development of the IB engine itself (more complex traits, spells, etc.). Also, it will be a low resources campaign, so finding even basic equipment will be quite the reward. Obviously, this will change quite a bit in later chapters.

The background world will be Grahir (just read about it here in the forums; Red Carnival took place on Grahir, too). Main themes will be Exploration and Choices. We will start in Cormondor, quite in the north of Grahir. Without giving too much away, it's safe to say that the mystical realm of Mirrcharade and its Sidhe inhabitants will play quite an important role, too.

I still hope to have this from the start as a campaign with moving pieces (NPC, enemies). It will be simple moves bringing superficial life to settlement and create movement riddles and threats in dungeons or dangerous terrains. Creatures/NPC will move on predetermined rails and we will have no chasing. This will follow (hopefully) later once IB gets to development state where such can be integrated into the toolset. As of now, even the simple moves will require a few tricks, but first tests looked good:

The (so far) missing scripts for calling encounters and convos I will replace by gaTransitionPartyToMapLocation calls that will teleport the party to either the ConvoMap or the EncounterMap. Both of the maps will just contain convos or encounters - players will never see these maps actually. They're more like lists of encounters/convos. Each convo will have transition calls back to the original map where the party came from, so will encounters on their onEndCombatLogicTree. The whole structure will be operated via the onHeartBeatLogicTree of each area. That logic tree compares party and prop positions and takes action in case they align. It will also move the props representing the creatures.

It would be wonderful to get the onUseItem logic trees working as these would enlarge exploration opportunities quite a lot (see magnifying glass and adventure item usage ideas). Basically these would grant an unlimited amount of extra buttons in very elegant way.

More to follow soon :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Re: Grahir - The Beginnings

Postby slowdive » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Sounds awesome... I'll get to work on scripts and adjusting hooks to accept logic trees.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Yeah, let's do it 8-) :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Great to see you developing your campaign world. Will this be for the PC platform as well as Android?
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:29 am

Thank you, Dorateen :) . Eventually I hope to port it to the PC, too. In the a little more distant future I guess we will find conversion helpers for moving adventures (dialogues, graphics, mayhaps even more) between IBPc and IBAndroid. For now, I will focus on the android verison of the adventure. In any case it will help me to flesh out the gameworld of Grahir in more detail which will benefit later PC versions of this or similar adventures playing in that gameworld, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Not as much time this weekend for campaign building as I hoped for. Still, extremely excited about the moving npc and creatures. This will be so much fun :D ! The Grahir world map will have caravans travelling the roads and ships running around the coastline , lakes and on the big rivers. Birds will soar around majestic moutain peaks and wolf and deer will roam the wilds. Dangerous areas will have high level random movers stalking for prey :twisted: . Labyrinths will feature moving stone blocks and some quests will require you to learn movement patterns of the enemy and avoid encounters. Armies will creep across the land once all hell breaks loose and then theres of course Mirrcharade: The mysteroious realm of the Sidhe on the other side of the mirror will be a moving puzzle itself - areas connected one moment will lose conections the next moment and new exits will constantly open and close. Very easy to get lost in this one forever if you dont pay close attention :mrgreen: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:08 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Birds will soar around majestic mountain peaks...

I think I will need to add a flag for props that ignore non-walkable squares. As of now, all props set their path finding based on walkable squares so I'll need to add a flag to Props to ignore that and then add a check in the setup grid function of path finding class.

Grahir is sounding great! Will you be releasing in chapters?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Yepp, The Beginning will be chapter 1 of the Grahir campaign. Idea is to make it downloadable for free and then charge some small amount for the following chapters.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Slowly getting back into drawing stuff, especially for those small screens :-)...
Attachments
pc_Feynor_pc.png
pc_Feynor_pc.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Awesome! What did you use to create this drawing? Any spoiler alerts for what the dripping green stuff represents?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Module Discussion